We have adopted schedule three to the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 (as amended by section 27 of the Policing and Crime Act 2009) which allows us to licence sex shops, sex cinemas and sexual entertainment venues in Carmarthenshire. Such premises are referred to as sex establishments.
Sex establishments fall into one of three categories:
- Sex shop: A sex shop means any premises used for a business which consists to a significant degree of supplying or displaying sex articles
- Sex cinema: A sex cinema means any premises, used to a significant degree for the exhibition of moving pictures, which are concerned primarily with the portrayal of or are intended to stimulate or encourage sexual activity
- Sexual entertainment venue: Licences for sexual entertainment venues are required for any premises at which any live performance or live display of nudity is provided before a live audience for the financial gain of the organiser or the entertainer
In deciding whether entertainment is licensable we will judge each case on its merits, but it will generally include (but not be limited to):
- lap dancing
- pole dancing
- table dancing
- strip shows
- peep shows
- live sex shows
Adult entertainment not classed as ‘relevant entertainment’ may still require licensing under the Licensing Act 2003. Associated activities such as the sale of alcohol will require a separate authorisation under the Licensing Act.
Our Sex establishment licensing policy sets out our approach on the regulation of sex establishments. The policy also contains further detailed information regarding the application process and standard licence conditions.
You are advised to contact us to discuss your proposal prior to submitting an application. You are also advised to read the relevant guidance and policy documents, as activities taking place at the premises may be licensable under separate legislation such as the Licensing Act 2003 and the Gambling Act 2005.
Your completed application, together with any necessary supporting documentation and the appropriate fee, should be submitted to our licensing section. See ways to pay below.
Anyone can make representations in relation to a licence application. You must submit your comments in writing within the 28 day consultation period.
For further information, read our sex establishment policy.
If you wish to make a complaint or report in relation to a sex establishment, please contact us.
As a public body, we are under a duty to protect the public funds that we administer, and to this end we may use the information provided to us on application forms for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.
- By cheque, made payable to Carmarthenshire County Council
- By phone with a debit or credit card, call 01267 234567.