• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

Benefit reforms

In 2012 the UK government decided to make changes to existing tax credit and welfare benefits systems. These changes have been phased in over time and will continue to be rolled out gradually between now and 2019.

Changes to Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment (PIP) between April 2013 and October 2017.

These changes will only affect working age customers so if you are under 16 or over 64 you will not be affected.

  • If you are under 16 you can still apply for DLA
  • If you are over 64 you will need to make a claim for Attendance Allowance

When will I be affected and what do I need to do?

If you currently claim DLA, sometime between October 2015 and October 2017 you will get a letter from DWP inviting you to claim PIP instead of DLA. You will need to respond to this letter to begin the process. This will happen even if you have an indefinite award for DLA. If you are aged 16 or under or were aged 65 or over on the 8th April 2013 these changes won’t affect you.

If you report a change of circumstance

If something changes for you and you need to report a change of circumstance before you receive a letter inviting you to claim PIP, when you report your change of circumstance you will be asked to claim PIP instead of DLA.

Use the PIP-Checker to find out how PIP changes will affect you and what moving to the new benefit involves. You can also find more information at: www.gov.uk/pip.

Changes to the Social Fund

As part of the UK Government welfare changes the social fund has ended. In Wales it has been replaced by the Discretionary Assistance Fund.

There are two types of non-repayable grants available:

  • Emergency Assistance Payments assistance in an emergency or when there is an immediate threat to health or wellbeing. Anyone over the age of 16 can be considered eligible for these payments if they need help to meet expenses due to an emergency or because of a disaster.
  • Individual Assistance Payments to meet an urgent identified need that enables or supports vulnerable people to establish themselves or remain living independently in the community. To be eligible applicants must be: entitled to and be in receipt of income related welfare benefits; or if they are due to leave an institution or care home within 6 weeks, that they are likely to be entitled to receive income related welfare benefits on leaving.

Visit  the Money Made Clear Wales website for more information and to find out if you are eligible for support.

You can apply to the fund by:

Page updated on: 03/05/2016

do it online