• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

Discretionary housing payments

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) is a short-term payment you can apply for if you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (UC) that includes a housing element but are finding it difficult to pay your rent.

When we award a DHP, we expect you to take some actions to help to improve your situation and we will advise you what these actions could be. This could include seeking debt advice or finding more affordable accommodation.

If your award is successful, we will pay your DHP with your Housing Benefit. Funding is limited so we will decide the amount and period of the award. It is not a long term solution to your financial problems.

We cannot pay DHP:

  • To top up an award made under the Council Tax Reduction Scheme,
  • Towards ineligible service charges e.g. water, fuel charges or meals
  • If your other benefits have been reduced, for example, because you left your last job voluntarily.

How do I make a claim?

You can download an application form, email us or collect one from our customer service centres.

What should I do if I disagree with your decision

If you are unhappy with our decision you can ask us to look at your application again. This is called a review.

You need to write to us requesting a review within one calendar month of the date shown on your decision letter from us. Your request and application will be assessed by a Team Leader and you will be advised of their decision within 10 working days of them receiving all the necessary paperwork required to make a decision.

If you are still unhappy with our decision you can ask for a judicial review.

News Thumbnail

Contact us

Call us on 01554 742100 between 8:45am to 1:00pm Monday through to Friday or e-mail: housing.benefits@carmarthenshire.gov.uk.

For independent advice you can contact Shelter Cymru on 0845 075 5005 or e-mail: advice@sheltercymru.org.uk.

Page updated on: 01/12/2017

do it online