• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

How is Housing Benefit paid?

If you are entitled to Housing Benefit then this can be paid in a number of different ways depending on what type of property you live in. You may find that your first payment is for more than your normal regular amount because it includes a back payment from the date you claimed.

If you are a council tenant then your Housing Benefit will be paid to your rent account once a week. Any benefit you get is taken off your full rent leaving you with less rent, or no rent, to pay. Most private tenants are paid every 4 weeks, in arrears.

If you are paid by a direct credit to your bank account (BACS), you will find the money reaches your account on a Tuesday at 4 weekly intervals. If you would like to have your Housing Benefit paid directly into your account as this is a safer and quicker method of payment, please download the BACS form, complete and return it to: Housing Benefits, 3rd Floor, Ty Elwyn, Llanelli, SA15 3AP.

These are the dates for rent allowance payments at four weekly intervals for private tenants payable by BACS or by cheque:

  • 21st November 2017
  • 19th December 2018
  • 16th January 2018
  • 13th February 2018

Payments direct to landlords

Housing Benefit for most people in privately rented properties can only be paid directly to the landlord when the claimant can't manage their financial affairs, is unlikely to pay their rent or has 8 weeks rent arrears or more. If you are a landlord and these conditions apply you should complete and return the Landlord’s request for direct payment form.


Page updated on: 14/11/2017

do it online