How to apply
To make a claim for Housing Benefit you need to fill in an application form and return it to us. You can apply online, or collect an application form our customer service centres at Llanelli, Ammanford or Carmarthen.
You will need to provide proof of:
- National Insurance numbers for you and your partner
- Identity e.g. birth certificate, drivers licence, passport
- Capital, savings and investments
- Tax Credits
- Any other income
- Benefits, allowances or pensions
- Your tenancy and any rent you pay (unless you are a council tenant or Housing Association tenant)
Please note that you must provide original documents, not copies. We cannot pay you benefit until we have seen all the proof we have asked for.
If you cannot provide some of this evidence please contact us and we can talk about other ways we can get the proof.
Things to remember
- You must send us or bring in your application form as soon as you can. The date your benefit will start from depends on when we receive your application form.
- You must provide all the supporting evidence we ask for within one month of the date of your application form. We will not be able to pay your benefit until we have seen all the evidence needed. If you have difficulty in sending in any evidence you should contact us and request an extension of the time limit.
- If you need to apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction, the same form is used for both. You only need to complete one.
How we share information
The personal information you provide in relation to your Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction claim may be shared with other public bodies where the law allows this.
Also, we may share your information with other Council services such as Housing, Council Tax, Social Care teams, and Free School Meals:
- Housing – we may share information with Housing Services for them to verify that tenancies are registered with Rent Smart Wales and for them to be proactive in reducing the number of empty homes in Carmarthenshire by helping owners to bring them back into use.
- Council Tax – we may share information to check the Council Tax liability is correct before awarding any Council Tax Reduction. This means that any discounts or exemptions may need to be amended before the reduction can be awarded. Information relating to landlords may also be shared.
- Social Care Teams - we may share information in order to speed up the process where grants or applications for care/support have been made.
- Free School meals – we may share information to help with applications for free school meals as this also a means tested function.
For more information about this, you can contact us.
You won't get any benefit if you don't make a claim.