• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

Marriages, Civil Partnerships and Unique Celebrations

CongratulationsMany congratulations on your forthcoming event. We are delighted that you have chosen to hold your ceremony in the beautiful and tranquil surroundings of Carmarthenshire.

We deliver a wide range of ceremonies. Our team of friendly and experienced staff will work closely with you to make your event special. Our care and attention starts at your initial enquiry and we truly understand the importance of each detail, no matter how small.

The range of ceremony venues in Carmarthenshire has never been as large and varied and there is indeed something to suit everyone and every budget!

When booking your venue, it is vital that you check that we are available to attend on the date and time of your choosing.  We take bookings up to 2 years in advance, so please contact us early to avoid disappointment.   

Civil Marriage Ceremony

You can marry at any Register Office or Approved Venue of your choice in England or Wales. Both parties are required to give notice in the district in which they usually reside. Therefore, we require that as soon as you have made a decision on the venue, you contact us to arrange the date and time. 

Religious Ceremony - Church in Wales or Church of England

If you wish to be married in the Church of Wales or Church of England you should contact the vicar of the parish who will advise you on the on the necessary formalities.  There is generally no need to involve the Registration Service. 

Other Places of Religious Worship

If you are planning a church or chapel wedding (other than Church in Wales or Church of England) you must first have the permission of the minister or governing body before you can make your arrangements.  It will be necessary for both of you to give notice of intention to marry at your local Registration Office.  You will need to let us know whether or not we will be required to attend to register your wedding.  Your minister or the venue’s own registrar (Approved Person) will be able to advise.  

Civil Partnerships and Marriage of same-sex couples

Same-sex couples can now choose to have their relationships legally recognized through marriage or civil partnership.  Both parties will need to give notice of intention at your local register office.  We advise couples to seek legal advice on the differences between Civil Partnership and Marriage before making a final decision on which will best suit them.

Conversion of Civil Partnership to a Marriage

Couples wishing to convert their existing Civil Partnership into a Marriage can do so, either as a simple paperwork exercise, or by means of a ceremony.  You will need to speak to the Superintendent Registrar in your district to make the necessary arrangements.

Renewal of Vows

You may wish to celebrate a recent commitment, an anniversary or simply wish to re-affirm your marriage/civil partnership vows, in the presence of your family and friends.  We can design you a one off ceremony, unique and personalized especially for you, to be held in any one of our venues or on your own private land. 

1. Contact your chosen Venue

  • Discuss date and time options (up to 2 years in advance of the wedding)

2. Contact the Registration Service

  • Make your provisional booking with us as early as you can
  • Provide us with your contact information 

3. Confirm provisional booking with the Venue

4. Complete the booking with the Registration Service and pay a non-refundable deposit to secure the date and time

5. Arrange to give Notice of Intention to Marry or enter into Civil Partnership (ideally 6 – 12 months before the ceremony)

  • Pay Statutory Notice Fee
  • Discuss your ceremony requirements 

6. Arrange to meet with your appointed Registrar (or have a telephone discussion) approximately 4 – 6 weeks before the ceremony.

  • Finalize your ceremony choices/requirements
  • Pay the balance  


Before you can marry/form a civil partnership there are legal requirements to undertake:

  • You will each need to attend the Register Office in the district in which you live to give what is called a formal Notice of Intention to Marry/form a Civil Partnership
  • Before giving notice you must have made a provisional booking with your venue and with the Registrar’s Office in the district in which you are holding your ceremony.
  • If you wish to marry or form a Civil Partnership in a religious building you will still need to conduct the legal preliminaries and book a Registrar through us.
  • After you have given notice, you will have to wait for 28 clear days (or 70 days if subject to Immigration Control) before the legal document known as the “authority” can be issued. This document states that there have been no valid legal objections to the union.
  • We recommend you give notice at least 6 months before the ceremony, however you are able  to complete this process up to a year before the ceremony.
  • You will need to produce documents to confirm your identity and nationality e.g. name, age, marital condition, nationality status and place of residence. 

Our preferred documents for giving Legal Notice are:

  • A full birth Certificate, a valid driver’s licence and a current valid passport.  If born after 1st January 1983 and you do not have a current valid passport, please contact us to discuss.  Alternatively, download our flowchart to see how to establish British Nationality if you do not have a Passport
  • Evidence of Residency – e.g. Valid UK driver’s licence, a recent utility bill (dated within 3 months), a bank statement (dated within 1 month) OR your most recent Council Tax statement.  These documents must have your current name and address clearly shown.  
  • Evidence of Marital Status - If you have been previously married, an original decree absolute is required, or if you are widowed we will need to see your late husband/wife’s death certificate.

Please contact us for more information:

  • if either of you is not a British Citizen.
  • if you do not have the necessary documents as given above.
  • if either of you is under 18. 
  • if you have any other queries.

If you are considering marriage overseas, please visit the Foreign Commonwealth Office website for advice.

It is important to us that your ceremony exceeds your expectations. 

You will begin working with your appointed registrar approximately 4 – 6 weeks before the day of your ceremony. 

We will work with you to design a ceremony that perfectly matches your individual requirements. You may wish to choose your own poems and readings, music and vows.  We will assist you every step of the way. 

Example of a Civil Ceremony

  • Entrance of bride and/or groom
  • Welcome and introduction
  • 1st Poem
  • Declaratory vows
  • Giving away
  • Contracting vows
  • Extra promises
  • Exchange of rings
  • Pronouncement
  • 2nd Poem
  • Signing of Register
  • Photographs
  • Ceremony Close

As part of your tailor made ceremony you may prefer to write your own promises, or add poems or readings of your own choosing. 

It important that your civil ceremony contains no religious references, actual or incidental, as these are prohibited by law.


  • You must  provide two witnesses to be present at the marriage, and to sign the marriage register. The marriage cannot proceed without two witnesses present and it is the responsibility of the parties to provide them. Registration officers will not assist in providing witnesses.
  • You will need to bring 2 witnesses to your ceremony to sign the register. We prefer them to be over 16 years of age. You may add children under this age as extra witnesses, if you wish.
  • Where the witnesses are the only guests at your marriage, we request that they know you, (ie are not complete strangers) in a capacity which does not raise a possible conflict of interest, should they be required to testify (eg they are not an employee etc.).
  • Should you intend to take your vows in Welsh only and have a bi-lingual marriage registration, both of you, the registrars and the witnesses need to be able to understand Welsh.

We are able to provide additional ceremonies alongside the legal forms of Marriages and Civil Partnerships. A couple's choice is no longer restricted to their  choice of venue and we are pleased to be able to offer some alternative and bespoke options around the various ceremonies we provide. 

For example, if you choose to have a 'basic' legal ceremony at one of our offices you can then follow, either on the same day or on an alternate date, with a much larger 'Celebration Ceremony or Re-affirmation of Vows' held at a venue of your choice, however large or small, with all your family and friends. We will work with you as a couple to create a special ceremony that can include renewing or re-affirmation of your vows, promises and exchanging of rings or re-exchanging, a special and unique event that will be everlasting in your memories and enjoyed by all. 

You may wish to also choose this way of celebrating a special event such as a Golden Wedding Celebration or simply wanting to renew your vows and commitment to each other. There are many couples who opt to have their ceremony abroad so this option is perfect for sharing and celebrating the union at home with family and friends. 

These alternative ceremonies have no legal status and therefore, allow us a certain amount of creative freedom and flexibility in their design and delivery.

Prior to booking an alternative ceremony there may be some documentation required and this will be discussed at your booking.

For a full schedue of charges and further information on any of the above, please contact us.

Name and Address: Rooms licensed (and maximum number of persons allowed  including couple, registrars and photographer) Contact information
Aberglasney Mansion House & Gardens,
SA32 8QH
Reception Hall (100)
Bay Window Room (30)
Cellar Room (15)
Arcade Room (20)
Jill Walters Room (30)
Ninfarium Internal roofed gardens (10)
Tel: 01558 668998
Website: www.aberglasney.org
Ammanford Registration Office,
3b Wind Street,
SA18 3DN
Room 1 (10)
Room 10 (back up) as above.
Tel: 01267 228210
E-mail: registrars@carmarthenshire.gov.uk
Ashburnham Hotel,
Ashburnham Road,
Ashburnham Suite (150)
Restaurant (125)
Tel: 01554 834343
Website: www.ashburnham-hotel.co.uk/weddings
Best Western Diplomat Hotel,
SA15 3PJ
Concorde Suite (50)
Trubshaws (85)
Atruim Conservatory (150)
Carlton Suite (350)
Phoenix Suite (30) 
Tel: 01554 756156
Website: www.diplomat-hotel-wales.com
Broadway Country House,
Broadway, Laugharne
SA33 4NU
Orangery (70)
Bar lounge (70)
Dining area (104)
Tel: 01994 427969
Website: www.broadwaycountryhouse.co.uk
Carreg Cennen Castle Farm,
SA19 6UA
The Barn (135)
The Wood Shed (105)
Tel: 01558 822291
Website: carregcennencastle.com/weddings

Derwydd Mansion
Derwydd Road
SA18 3LQ 

The Great Hall (50)
The Library (20)

Tel: 07580875352
Website: derwyddmansion.co.uk

Ffos Las Racecourse,
Near Trimsaran,
SA17 4DE
Bridles Restaurant (220)
Hospitality rooms (64). 6, 7 & 8 combined (or  20, 20 & 24 divided)
The Owners & Trainers Restaurant (100)
Owners & Trainers Bar (100)
Paddock Marquee (200)
Blinkers (450)
Conservatory (150)
Tel:01554 811092
Website: www.ffoslas.co
Gwesty’r Emlyn Hotel,
Bridge Street,
Newcastle Emlyn
SA38 9DU
Ty Nest (150)
Restaurant (30)
Tel: 01239 711535
Website: www.gwestyremlynhotel.co.uk/weddings
Halfway Inn Ltd,
SA32 7NL
Function Room 1 (200)
Function Room 2 (40)
Tel: 01558 668337
Website: halfwayinn-carmarthen.co.uk/weddings
Ivy Bush Royal Hotel LTD,
Spilman Street,
SA31 1LG
Croeso Suite (200)
Towy Suite – (partition closed 50)
Towy Suite – (partition open 100)
Tel: 01237 235111
Website: www.ivybushroyal.co.uk
Jabajak Vineyard,
Llanboidy Road,
SA34 0ED
Granary (25)
Juliette balcony (8)
Banquet Suite (85)
Vineyard View Pergola (85)
Bistro (40)
Tel: 01994 448786
Website: jabajak.co.uk/weddings-ceremonies/
Llwyn Hall,
SA14 9LD
Main Dining (30)
East Wing (26) 
Tel: 01554 777754
E-mail: info@llwynhall.com 
Mansion House Llansteffan,
SA33 5AJ
Garden Room (150)
Middle Room (60)
Music Room (58)
Tel: 01267 241515
Website: mansionhousellansteffan.co.uk/wedding/

Myddfai Community Hall & Visitor Centre,
SA20 0JD

Hall (200)
Gallery (30)
Signing room (20)

Tel:  01550 720449
Website: www.myddfai.org/weddings/

Newton House,
Dinefwr Park & Castle,
SA19 6RT

Drawing Room (50)
Dining Room (100)
Fountain Garden (10)
The Summer House (6)
The Old Slaughter House (40)
The Upstairs Conservatory (10)

Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dinefwr
Tel: 01558 823902

Pantglas Hall, Llanfynydd,
SA32 7BY

 Coach House (60)

Pantglas Suite (100)

Website: www.pantglas-hall.co.uk/
E-mail: anna@pantglas-hall.co.uk
Tel: 01558 668751

Parc y Scarlets,
Parc Pemberton,
SA14 9UZ
Press Room (24)
Quinell Lounge (350)
Carwyn James (96)
Phil Bennett (250)
Training Barn (1500)
Box 8 (12)
Tanner Bank (60)
North East Canopy (100)
Coaches Box (24)
Stradey Park Lounge (80)
Tel: 01554 783900
Website: parcyscarlets.com/weddings/  
Penybanc Farm,
Drefach Felindre,
SA44 5XE

The Old Dairy (76)
The Byre (25) 

The Gazebo (10)

Tel: 01559 370517
Website: welshgreenweddings.co.uk/weddings/  
Plas Glansevin,
SA19 9HY
Mansion House Entrance Hall (64 or 55)
Main Lounge (25)
Porch (8)
Dining Room (85)
Small Lounge (15)
Coach House Dining Room (45)
Main room (15)
Tel: 01550 777121
Website: glansevin.com/weddings-at-glansevin/

Sosban LTD
The Pumphouse
North Dock
SA15 2LF 

The Restaurant (110)
The Bar Lounge (20)

Tel: 01554 270020
Website: www.sospanrestaurant.com

Stradey Park Hotel,
SA15 4HA
Bryn-y-Mor lounge (30)
Alexander Suite (280)
 Conservatory (90)
Tel: 01554 758171
Website: www.stradeyparkhotel.com
Sylen Lakes LTD,
Five Roads,
SA15 5BJ
Marquee( 200)
Tack Room (10)
Office (10)
Summer house (10)
Tel: 07793 059445
Website: www.sylenlakes-weddings.co.uk
The Baltic Inn & Restaurant,
SA15 5RE
Restaurant Conservatory (90)
Function Room (180)
Tel: 01269 861409
Website: www.balticinn.co.uk
The Castle Hotel,
Kings Road,
SA20 0AP
Ball Room (120)
Lounge (80)
Library (20)
Conference Room (20)
Website: castle-hotel-llandovery.co.uk/weddings/
Tel: 01550 720343
The Cawdor,
72 Rhosmaen Street,
SA19 6EN
Restaurant (125)
Bistro (35)
The Horeb (130)
Website: www.thecawdor.com
Tel: 01558 823500
The Corran Resort and Spa,
East Marsh,
SA33 4RS
Restaurant (145)
Dinefwr (33)
Website: www.thecorran.com/weddings/
Tel : 01994 427417
The National Botanic Garden of Wales,
Middleton Hall,
SA32 8HG
Great Glasshouse (150)
Gallery (70)
Performance Stage (25 inside - 125 seated   guests max outside performance stage)
Website: www.gardenofwales.org.uk/venu-hire/weddings
Tel: 01558 667147
The Old School,
Yr Hen Ysgol,
Parc Myrddin,
Richmond Terrace,
SA31 1HQ
The Merlin Room (55)
The Old Oak Room (30)
The Library (25)
E-mail: registrars@carmarthenshire.gov.uk
Tel: 01267 228210
The Plough Inn,
SA19 6NP
Restaurant, Function Suite (170)
Conservatory (50)
Penlan (40)
Website: www.ploughrhosmaen.com
Tel: 01558 823431
The Thomas Arms,
Thomas Street,
SA15 3JF
Room 1 (80)
Room 2 (40)
Rooms 1+2 combined (120)
Room 3 (backup only – 50)
Website: www.thomasarms.co.uk/weddings
Tel: 01554 772043
The Town Hall,
Town Hall Square,
SA15 2AP

Room 1,  (80 Weekends & 65 weekdays)
Band Stand (25)

Small Room (10)

E-mail registrars@carmarthenshire.gov.uk
Tel: 01267 228210
Three Rivers Hotel,
SA17 5TU
Brasserie (100)
Lounge Bar (20)
Function Room (120)
Website: threerivershotel.co.uk
Tel: 01267 267270
Waun Wyllt Inn,
Five Roads,
SA15 5AQ
Function Room (45)
Restaurant (60)
Website: www.thewaunwyllt.com
Tel: 01554 752884
White Hart Inn,
36 Carmarthen Road,
SA19 6RS
Raven Dining Room (70)
Dinefwr Function Room (180)
Website: www.whitehartinnwales.co.uk
Tel: 01558 823419
Main News Thumbnail

Have your say

If we have recently conducted your marriage, civil partnership or celebration ceremony, please take a few moments to complete our brief survey. Your thoughts are very important to us.

Complete our survey

Page updated on: 18/04/2017

do it online