Apply for a school place: 3 year olds
We recommend that you contact the school you’d like your child to attend before you submit an application. Visiting the school and speaking to the teachers is a great way of knowing if you’re making the right choice for you and your child.
Remember that even if you have spoken to a school and they have said there are places available until you’ve made an application and had confirmation from us that your child has been accepted they cannot start school.
We only accept applications for schools in Carmarthenshire, if you are applying for a faith school, a school in another County or a private day nursery please contact them directly.
If you are applying for your child to attend nursery at one of our schools and you’d like them to stay at that school for their primary school education you can let us know on your application form. It is important to note, just because your child is accepted at the age of three there is no guarantee that they will be offered a school place from 4 years old. It just means you won't need to apply twice if you tick the box.
You can apply for your child to attend Nursery school from the age of 3 on a part time basis. Your child will attend school in either the morning or afternoon for two terms.
The Local Authority have one nursery school in Ammanford and 40 of our primary schools offer nursery places (these schools are highlighted as 3-11 on the application form).
Some parents prefer to send their child to a privately run day nursery. If you send your child to a registered Private Day nursery you are eligible for 10 hours free nursery education.
There are no direct links between private day nurseries and primary schools. Your application is based on your home address NOT the location of the private day nursery that your child attended.
If you’d like them to attend a different school from 4 years old you will need to re-apply.
If your child was born between: 1st September 2014 - 31st August 2015.
- They could start school in January, April or September 2018.
- The deadline for applications is 31st January 2017.
- We will contact you in October 2017 with the outcome of your application.
If your child was born between: 1st September 2015 - 31st August 2016.
- They could start school in January, April or September 2019.
- The deadline for applications is 31st January 2018.
- We will contact you in October 2018 with the outcome of your application.
* If you've missed the deadline you can still make a late application but it may affect your chances of getting a place.
To apply for a nursery place in 2018 the deadline was the 31st January 2017. However, you can still make a late application. If you would like to apply for a place in 2019 the deadline for applications is 31st January 2018. There is no advantage to making an early application, it's just important that you apply on time!
We only accept applications for Carmarthenshire schools and you can only apply online.
You will need to provide the following information:
- Parent/guardians name* and address
- Parent/guardians email**
- Childs name, address and date of birth
- Choice of school – you can choose up to three schools in order of preference
Apply for a nursery place
* Anyone with parental responsibility must agree to this application before you submit it.
** If you don’t have an e-mail address you can’t apply online, please go to your local school and they will assist you with your application.
- You will receive an e-mail acknowledgement of your application with a .pdf copy of your submission. All correspondence about your application will be sent via e-mail or post.
- If your application was on time you will be notified in October the year before e.g Term starts in 2018 you will be notified in October 2017.
- If your application was late it reduces your chances of getting a place and we can’t guarantee your child will start at the beginning of term. We will notify you as soon as possible but the application process takes up to eight weeks.
- If you are offered a place you must confirm that you accept the place you’ve been offered within 14 days. If you don’t your place may be taken away.
- Once you’ve accepted your child’s place you must contact the school to agree a start date.
If your child is refused a nursery place to all of your chosen schools, there is no right to appeal but your name will be kept on a waiting list until 30th September and if a place becomes available we’ll let you know. You can make a late application for other schools.
Page updated on: 15/08/2017