• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

Drinking water

Drinking waters include the mains water supply and also private drinking water supplies. The mains water supply is the responsibility of Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water.

We monitor the quality of water from private supplies such as:

  • Wells, Boreholes, Streams, Springs, Rivers

A private water supply could serve just one property or it could be a large supply with a large network of pipes supplying water to many properties.

Standards and sampling

To make sure that water used in the home and for producing food is of the high quality needed to protect public health, the government has set legal quality standards for all water used for drinking, washing and cooking or used in businesses which produce food or drink. These are the same standards set for mains water supplies.

The Private Water Supplies (Wales) Regulations 2010 places a duty on us to sample and risk assess all private water supplies in our area within five years, with the exception of supplies serving a single dwelling. The frequency of sampling and risk assessment is specified in the regulations.


The legislation has introduced a charging scheme for the monitoring of private water supplies. In Carmarthenshire, the charges below are for private water supply sampling and analysis, risk assessment and investigation:

Large/Commercial Supplies

Type of service Costs
Risk assessment £500
Visit £100
Check sample £65
Microbiology sample £15.24
Total for initial visit and sampling £180.24 plus VAT

Small Supplies

Type of service Costs
Risk assessment £200
Visit £75
Regulation 10 sample £25
Total for visit and sampling £100 plus VAT

Single Domestic Supplies

Type of service Costs
Risk assessment £100 (if requested only)
Visit £50
Regulation 10 sample £25
Total for visit and sampling £75 plus VAT

Requests for the sampling and analysis of supplies not covered by the regulations may also be made and are subject to the same charges.

Useful links

  • Drinking Water Inspectorate is responsible for assessing the quality of drinking water in England and Wales, taking enforcement action if standards are not being met and when water is unfit for human consumption.
  • The Office of Water Services (Ofwat) is the economic regulator for water and sewerage services in England and Wales. It is a non-ministerial government department led by the Director General of Water Services.
  • Environment Agency is the leading public body for protecting and improving the environment in England and Wales.

Page updated on: 03/05/2016

do it online