• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

Managing your money

If you’ve got money problems, it’s better to sort them out sooner, rather than later. A good starting point is to use the Budget Planner on the benefits section of our website. This tool is provided by the Money Advice Service and can help you to work out where your money goes each week.

Many companies offer easy, instant debt solutions, but these are often too good to be true. Names can be misleading, so make sure the organisation you choose is a charity. Other companies may charge fees.

Here are a few free sources of help and advice if you’re having trouble with debts:

If you contact these charities, give the adviser as much information as you can about your household’s financial situation, including your list of creditors and a list of your incomings and outgoings.

Check your finances with the budget planner

Are you entitled to benefits?

If you’re on a low income and have savings of less than £16,000, then you could be entitled to Housing Benefit (Rent Rebate). Don’t miss out, help is available.

You can make a claim whether you’re unemployed or working. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances, and may cover all, or part of your weekly rent charge.

You may be entitled to a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). This is a short-term payment you can apply for if you claim Housing Benefit but are finding it difficult to pay your rent.

You won't get any benefit if you don't make a claim

Page updated on: 03/02/2017

do it online