Cycle to work scheme
What is the scheme?
- The scheme is a council run initiative that has purchased over 300 bicycles to date
- It enables staff to hire a bike and/or approved accessories for a 12-month period with an option to buy outright at the end of the term
What are the benefits?
- Save money
- Affordable - spread the cost of your bike over time
- Unrestricted use during leisure time
- Improve health and fitness
- Reduce traffic congestion and pollution
How does it work?
- You give up a small part of your regular salary for 12 months in return for leasing a bike and approved accessories suitable for commuting to work
- During the lease period the bike should be used for qualifying work journeys at least 50% of the time
- The cost is deducted from gross salary so money that you would have paid in tax and insurance goes towards your bike/accessories
Who supplies the bicycles?
You may choose a bike - up to £1,000 (incl. VAT) - from any shop/company as long as they’re willing to cooperate with council procedures.
Please note that the following normally offer a 10% discount to staff participating in the Cycle to Work Scheme:
Beiciau Hobbs / Cycles
Old Station Rd, Carmarthen, Dyfed SA31 2BD
Tel: 01267 236785
Bierspool, London Road, Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire SA72 6DT
Tel: 01646 681039
53 Llandeilo Rd, Cross Hands, Llanelli SA14 6RD
Tel: 01269 845656
Unit 6, Midicy Oast, Bodiam Business Park, Bodiam TN32 5UP
Tel: 01580 830959
Honeyborough Rd, Neyland, Milford Haven SA73 1SE
Tel: 01646 601014
Pilot House Cycles
The Old Pilot House, Pilot House Wharf, Swansea Marina SA1 1UN
Tel: 01792 463199
Who is eligible?
Carmarthenshire County Council employees including school staff who are employed under a full time, part time, permanent or fixed term contract provided
- you have at least six months of service (12 months for Social Workers)
- you have at least 12 months remaining on your contract
- you would not fall below the Minimum Wage following salary sacrifice deductions