• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

Planning appeals

If you receive a refusal of planning permission or are unhappy about the conditions imposed you can make an appeal to the Planning Inspectorate.

However, you should look carefully at the reasons why the Council turned down your application before you consider an appeal. It may be possible to negotiate with the Council and amend the application to make it more acceptable. If you change your proposal and apply again within one year of the refusal you won’t have to pay another fee. An appeal should only ever be a last resort.  There are 3 ways of submitting an appeal:

  • Written Representation (cheapest, simplest & most common procedure)
  • Informal Hearing (discussion forum) or
  • Public Inquiry (full cross examination)

The first option is the most common, especially for householder and other minor applications. Appeals for more detailed major applications tend to be decided by an informal hearing or a full public inquiry. 

A written representation statement typically includes and appraisal of the scheme and issues, together with maps, plans and photographs but not oral evidence. Whichever procedure is used, the Inspector will visit the site to judge the effect of your proposal on the area.

If you, the Council or the Planning Inspectorate do not agree to the written procedure, a hearing or an inquiry will be arranged. 

All appeals must be submitted within 6 months of the decision date. 

Planning Inspectorate

Useful links

Contact us

Planning Appeals Sections, 
8 Spilman Street, 
SA31 1 JY

Tel: 01267 228620
E-mail: planningappeals@carmarthenshire.gov.uk

Page updated on: 13/11/2017

do it online