• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

Submit a planning application

Online Applications

The easiest way to submit an application is on-line via the Planning Portal. You can complete the application form, attach supporting documents and pay fees on-line, saving you the cost of printing and postage. 

If you would like assistance with your application, you can apply for our pre-application advice service.

Visit the Minerals webpage for Mineral Planning Applications.  At present, planning applications for minerals development cannot be made via the Planning Portal.

Paper applications

If you prefer to submit to submit a paper application please send to:
Planning Services, Civic Offices, Crescent Road, Llandeilo, SA19 6HW

Applications delivered to the area planning offices, or a Customer Services Centre will be sent to Llandeilo via the internal mail courier, this may result in 3 to 4 days delay.

Please note for the purpose of assessing eligibility in a ‘free go’ application, prior notification, telecommunications etc. the date of receipt by the authority will be the date received by the Registration team in Llandeilo.  

Please allow sufficient time when submitting a Renewal or Resubmission for the application to be checked, and any reasons for invalidity to be resolved before the date of expiry.

Important notice: The forms state that four sets of the submitted paperwork are required. We actually only require one set.

The following consents can be applied for:

This form should be used for proposals to alter or enlarge a single house, including works within the boundary/garden of a house. It should be used for projects such as:

  • Extensions
  • Conservatories
  • Loft conversions
  • Dormer windows
  • Garages, car ports and outbuildings

Please note that planning permission is not needed for all household building work. Under permitted development rules you can carry out a number of household building work projects, provided they meet certain limits and conditions. You can find out whether you need planning permission for your building project by viewing the Portal's Interactive House.

How to apply

You should use this application form to make a detailed planning application for development, excluding householder developments. For the purposes of this form, development includes building, engineering or other works, in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or other land. As such it should be used for:

  • Any works relating to a flat
  • Applications to change the number of dwellings (flat conversions, building a separate house in the garden)
  • Changes of use to part or all of the property to non-residential (including business) uses
  • Anything outside the garden of the property (including stables if in a separate paddock)

How to apply

Applications for outline planning permission seek to establish whether the scale and nature of a proposed development would be acceptable to the local planning authority, before a fully detailed proposal is put forward.

This type of planning application allows fewer details about the proposal to be submitted. Once outline permission has been granted, you will need to ask for approval of the details (“reserved matters”) before work can start. These details will be the subject of a “reserved matters” application at a later stage. You can make an application for reserved matters online via the Planning Portal

How to apply

Where outline permission has been granted, you may, within three years of the outline approval, make an application for the outstanding reserved matters, i.e. the information excluded from the initial outline planning application. This will typically include information about the layout, access, scale and appearance of the development.

How to apply

This form should be used for proposals to display an advertisement or sign which requires planning permission. The term advertisement covers a very wide range of advertisements and signs including:

  • Posters and notices
  • Placards and boards
  • Fascia signs and projecting signs
  • Pole signs and canopy signs
  • Models and devices
  • Advance signs and directional signs
  • Estate agents' boards
  • Captive balloon advertising (not balloons in flight)
  • Flag advertisements
  • Price markers and price displays
  • Traffic signs
  • Town and village name-signs

How to apply

You will need to apply for listed building consent if either of the following cases apply:

  • You want to demolish a listed building
  • You want to alter or extend a listed building in a manner which would affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest

You may also need listed building consent for any works to separate buildings within the grounds of a listed building. Check the position carefully with the council - it is a criminal offence to carry out work which needs listed building consent without obtaining it beforehand.

How to apply

Historic Buildings

If you live in a conservation area, you will need conservation area consent to do the following:

  • Demolish a building with a volume of more than 115 cubic metres. There are a few exceptions - you can get further information from the relevant council.
  • To demolish a gate, fence, wall or railing more than one metre high next to a highway (including a public footpath or bridleway) or public open space; or more than two metres high elsewhere
  • There are certain exemptions from the general requirement to seek conservation area consent for the demolition of buildings in conservation areas.

How to apply

This type of application will be necessary where a condition in a planning permission or a listed building consent requires details of a specified aspect of the development which was not fully described in the original application. These details need to be submitted for approval before the development can begin.

How to apply

An application for a non-material amendment can be made to change any planning permission that has not expired (an extant permission). The amendment can be sought:

  • before development has started;
  • while the development is being implemented; or
  • after development is completed.

Guidance on this type of application can be found on the Welsh Government website: 

How to apply

Some proposals for developments involving telecommunications, demolition, agriculture or forestry are subject to a process whereby details are notified to the local planning authority prior to the development taking place.

Visit the Planning portal to find out more about prior notification for:

How to apply

In conservation areas, notice is required for works to trees that have a trunk diameter of more than 75mm when measured at 1.5m from ground level (or more than 100mm if reducing the number of trees to benefit the growth of other trees).

You have to give your local planning authority six weeks’ notice before carrying out work on trees which are located in a conservation area but are not yet the subject of a tree preservation order. This gives the authority an opportunity to consider whether an order should be made to protect the trees. 

How to apply

The Application for Hedgerow Removal Notice form should be used by anyone proposing to remove a hedgerow, or part of a hedgerow, covered by the Hedgerows Regulations 1997.

The regulations are designed to protect important hedgerows in England and Wales. Anyone proposing to remove a hedgerow, or part of a hedgerow, covered by the regulations, must first notify the local planning authority by submitting a Hedgerow Removal Notice.

How to apply


Page updated on: 03/05/2016

do it online