Clinical / hygiene waste
The Environmental Protection Act makes improper or unsafe handling and disposal of clinical waste punishable by a fine. If done deliberately, it could be a criminal offence.
Clinical Waste includes the following types of waste. This waste cannot be placed into black bags and must be collected by Hywel Dda University Health Board. If you require a collection of this type of waste from your home please visit www.naturaluk.co.uk/hyweldda or call 01269 845554.
- Identifiable human tissue
- Animal carcasses and tissue from veterinary centres, hospitals or laboratories
- Soiled surgical dressings, swabs and other similar soiled waste
- Discarded syringe needles
- Broken glass and any other contaminated disposable sharp instruments or items
- Drugs or other pharmaceutical products
- Potentially infected waste from pathology departments and other clinical or research laboratories
Warning: clinical waste must never be placed in household waste bags.
Hygiene waste includes the following types of waste, which can be placed in black bags, however if you have a large amount of this waste and require a free weekly hygiene collection from your home please contact Carmarthenshire Direct on 01267 234567 or e-mail: email@example.com
- Items used to dispose of urine, faeces and other bodily secretions or excretions including:
- Disposable bed pans
- Bed pan liners
- Incontinence pads
- Stoma bags
- Urine containers
This does not include children’s nappies.
Page updated on: 07/03/2017