• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

Sight/hearing loss

There are a range of services which provide advice and support on independent living for adults with sensory impairments.

We offer help and guidance to adults who live in Carmarthenshire, who:

  • Have sight loss, hearing loss or both
  • Are carers of people with sight or hearing loss.

How can we support you?

By working with other health and social care services in Carmarthenshire we can help you get the support you need. This may include care and support assessments, and equipment and adaptations to your home.

For example, if you are deaf or hearing impaired you may be experiencing frustrating problems at home. Perhaps you need to have the television on too loud or perhaps you don’t always hear the telephone or doorbell ring. A vibrating pager system or flashing light can alert you to callers at the door or the phone ringing.

If you have visual problems, we have specialist workers called Rehabilitation Officers for visually impaired people who can give you information and advice about the registration process of sight impaired/severely impaired.  We can help promote your confidence with mobility training to enable safe travelling; provide you with skills in daily living to enable you to continue with your daily tasks.  There is equipment which can be loaned from us which can help you with your visual impairement.  We can teach you forms of communiccation and provide you with low vision therapy with your newly prescribed magnifiers.

Please ring your nearest Visually Impaired team for advice or information and they may arrange to visit you to make an assessment. on:

  • Llanelli: 01554 747523
  • Carmarthen: 01267 246955
  • Aman Gwendraeth: 01269 590261

Accessing Services

If you experience difficulty in accessing services because of hearing or visual impairment we have trained staff who may be able to help you.

If needed, we can help you to access a Sign Language Interpreter, Lip-Speaker, or other communication support at any important appointments you may have. A social work service in sign language is also available.

If you have frequent difficulties with communication, we can advise you on which other organisations are available that can help you with benefits advice.

Our factsheets Are you Deaf or Hearing Impaired? and Do you have poor vision? have further useful information.

Useful links

British Deaf Association Wales 
Website: www.bda.org.uk | Tel: 0845 1302853

Carmarthen & District Hearing Impaired Group 
Tel: 01267 235503

Deafblind UK 
Website: deafblind.org.uk | Tel: 0800 132320

Llanelli Deaf Club 
Fax or Minicom: 01554 833720

Llanelli Hard of Hearing Club
Tel: 01554 770770

Action on Hearing Loss 
Website: www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk | Tel: 0808 808 0123

Sense Cymru
Website: www.sense.org.uk/content/sense-cymru-wales | Tel: 0845 127 0092

Wales Council for Deaf People
Website: www.wcdeaf.org.uk | Tel: 01443 485687

Wales Council for the Blind
Website: www.wcb-ccd.org.uk | Tel: 02920 473954

RNIB (Royal National Institute for the Blind) Cymru
Website: www.rnib.org.uk | 02920 450440

Guide Dogs
Website: www.guidedogs.org.uk | Tel: 0845 3727405

Talking Newspapers:
Ammanford: 01269 596236 | Carmarthen: 01267 238225 | Llanelli: 01554 772350

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service
Website: www.mawwfire.gov.uk | Tel: 0800 169 1234

Page updated on: 06/01/2017

do it online