• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

Housing support

Housing support is for people who need help to live independently and safely.

Extra Care Housing

Extra Care Schemes provide a flexible and independent approach to care.

There are four extra care schemes in Carmarthenshire – Plas Y Mor in Burry Port and Cwm Aur in Llanybydder, which are run by Gwalia; and Cartref Cynnes in Carmarthen and Ty Dyffryn in Ammanford, which are run by Family Housing Association Wales.

Each of the schemes offer a range of one and two-bedroom departments, designed to enable you to live independently, with support  staff based on the premises 24 hours a day. Properties are specifically designed to offer security and ease of access, and include many features which are valued by older people. Extra care is aimed at people aged over 55 and allows you to remain independent. Some people move in with high levels of care and support, however you can be considered if you have very little or no care needs.

You would live as you would in your home - you can live together if you’re a couple, and you can have visitors to stay in your apartment if you wish.

Each scheme boasts communal dining and relaxation areas, as well as having on-site facilities including craft and hobby rooms, guest suites, launderettes, libraries, hair and beauty spas and convenience stores.

Some of the schemes have dedicated facilities for people living with dementia, and day centre facilities which can be used by the local community.

How do Extra Care Schemes differ from residential homes?

Our residential care homes offer private bedroom areas and shared communal spaces with closely monitored 24-hour care. Extra Care Schemes provide more privacy and independence as each apartment is self-contained with its own lounge, one or two bedrooms, kitchen and bathroom. Couples can live together, and tenants can have visitors to stay in their apartments if they wish. Care and support is provided, but in a more flexible way.

To find out more about Plas Y Mor in Burry Port and Cwm Aur in Llanybydder, contact Gwalia: enquiries@gwalia.com | 0800 012 1080 (01792 488288 if calling from a mobile)

For Cartref Cynnes in Carmarthen and Ty Dyffryn in Ammanford, contact Family Housing Association Wales: info@fha-wales.com | 01792 460192

Floating Support

Floating support services will have the flexibility to support you wherever you live –this is different from accommodation based services, where support is tied to a particular accommodation.

This kind of support service helps you as an individual to become more independent, and may mean that you can continue to live independently at home when without support it would be difficult to do so.

Supporting People have further information on the type of specialist support that may be available to you and also a directory of other organisations which may be able to help.

Sheltered Housing

Sheltered Housing provides the perfect solution for people looking for a home to call their own, but with added comfort of support and friendship close by.  The schemes are nestled amongst communities across Carmarthenshire, so tenants can continue to enjoy full and active lives.  Each has a range of options, including ground and first floor flats, with beautiful gardens and communal facilities to make you feel right at home.

Page updated on: 14/08/2017

do it online