• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

How can we help?

Social Care departments have a duty to inform regular and substantial Carers of their right to a Carers Support Needs Assessment and to provide that assessment if requested.

If you are a Carer and the person you care for is not known to us, you still have the right to request an assessment.

A Carers Support Needs Assessment will enable us to understand your situation and establish what is important to you.

However, if you feel that your caring role isn’t regular and substantial but you are nevertheless helping someone, you can still access helpful information from this site.

Local information is available to all Carers through the Carers Information Service and general information around caring and carers issues can also be found at Carers Trust or Carers Wales.

There is no legal definition of what regular and substantial means. Social Care has been given guidance by the Department of Health that it depends on your particular circumstances, the type of care you deliver, and the effect it has on your life.

It is not just a question of how many hours a week you spend looking after someone but also the overall impact on your life.

What is a Carer's Support Needs Assessment? 

A Carer’s Support Needs Assessment is offered in recognition of the invaluable contribution that you are making and involves a face to face meeting with a Social Care representative. The person carrying out the assessment will discuss with you your caring role and listen to what’s important to you, apart from caring, to understand what support you may need.  This will provide you with the opportunity to speak openly about your role and your wishes and aspirations.

The outcome of a Carers Support Needs Assessment could include any of these examples (this list is not exhaustive):

  • A dedicated support worker
  • Additional support for the person being cared for
  • Emotional and practical support
  • Signposting to relevant services and carer groups
  • Provision of advice and information
  • Access to a Carers Emergency Card
  • Possible access to a Carers Flexible Support Grant
  • Receive a Carers Information pack and regular newsletter

How do I request a Carer’s Support Needs Assessment?

Please do not use the online referral form for urgent or emergency enquiries. In an emergency, please ring Careline+ on 0300 333 2222.

What next?

After you have requested a Carers Support Needs Assessment we will contact you to arrange a suitable time to visit you or arrange a meeting so that we can discuss your situation with you (Sometimes Carers prefer to discuss their caring role in private and separate from the person being cared for). The purpose of the visit is to listen to you.

You may wish to access Carers UK Guide to prompt you to start thinking about what’s important to you.

Page updated on: 30/11/2016

do it online