• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

Worried about an adult/child

We are committed to ensuring that vulnerable children and adults are protected from abuse and neglect and we will take immediate action where necessary, to keep them safe from harm.

If you have concerns about a child you will find further information on what to do and who to contact within the Children and Family Services section of our website.

If immediate help is needed dial 999.

Some adults may not always be able to protect and care for themselves. Adults at risk are people aged 18 and over who are unable to protect themselves from harm because of a disability, mental disorder, illness, physical or mental infirmity.

  • What is harm? Harm may be - Physical, neglect, financial, sexual, psychological/emotional, discriminatory. Harm may happen anywhere.
  • Who may cause harm? Relatives and family, professional staff, paid care workers, volunteers, other service users, neighbours, friends. Anybody may cause harm.

If you are being abused, or are concerned that someone you know may be at risk of harm you should speak to someone about it.

It is everyone’s responsibility to play a part in the protection of vulnerable people.

The Local Authority has a duty to make enquiries into an alleged incident of abuse or neglect. Other professionals may be involved, for example police officers or health services.

The enquiries will be handled as sensitively as possible. The adult will be listened to and their wishes considered. If the concerns are serious we will act immediately to make sure that the adult is safe.

Useful links

Who to contact

If you are at risk of harm, or are concerned that someone you know may be at risk of harm you should contact:

  • If immediate help is needed dial 999
  • Careline+ on 0300 333 2222 (available 24hrs, 7 days a week)
  • You can use the secure online form*

*The online referral form is for adults (over 18 years of age) who may need social care support. Do not use this form in an emergency.

If you are a professional, you can telephone us with your concerns but you will also need to complete a POVA formguidance on how to complete the form is available.

For advice contact:
Safeguarding Team, 5 Spilman Street, Carmarthen, SA31 1LE

Tel: 01267 228944 | Email: safeguarding@carmarthenshire.gov.uk 

The Safeguarding Team is available from 9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4.30pm on Fridays.

Page updated on: 26/09/2017

do it online