Dual driver licence
In order to drive a licensed hackney carriage (taxi) or private hire vehicle you must first have been issued with a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle driver's licence by us.
You must be at least 21 years of age and no older than 70 years of age.
A criminal record will not necessarily prevent you from gaining a licence unless we consider that you are not a fit and proper person to hold such a licence. Further information is available in our policy on convictions.
If you are applying for dual drivers licence you must disclose all convictions and cautions to us, as the occupation is exempt from the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Some applications including those that reveal convictions which would not be spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, or serious convictions which in our opinion may render you unfit to hold a drivers licence, will be referred to our licensing committee for determination.
If you have convictions you are advised to contact us before submitting your application.
You must make your application in person at one of our customer service centres. You will need to provide the following items:
- Application form (with all sections completed)
- One passport photo
- A council medical certificate from your own GP
- A completed Criminal Records Bureau disclosure application form and supporting documentation (disclosure application forms can be obtained from us)
- A current clean driving licence (the licence must have been held for at least two years)
- Application fee
As a public body, we are under a duty to protect the public funds that we administer, and to this end we may use the information provided to us on application forms for the prevention and detection of fraud.
We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes
Licensing & Permits
What licences do you need to trade outdoors?
Alcohol & entertainment licences
- Club premises certificate
- Premises licence
- Personal licence
- Temporary Event Notices
- Comment on a licence application
- Making a complaint about a licensed premises
- Renewing / cancelling your licence
- Annual fees
- Requesting a review
Charity collection permit
Holiday caravan site licence
Mobile homes – Residential site licence
Scrap Metal Dealer Licence
Sex establishments licence
Street café licence - Trading outdoors
Street trading licence
Taxi/Private Hire Licences
- Dual driver licence
- Hackney carriage licence
- Private hire operator licence
- Private hire vehicle licence
- Taxi/private hire licence fees
- Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
Hoarding / fence licence
More from Licensing & Permits