How are we preparing for Brexit?
We are working as closely as possible with partners including Welsh Government and Welsh Local Government Association to follow guidance and implement recommendations.
This is part of an overall programme of preparation at the council that’s aimed at minimising the potential impact of Brexit on council services, businesses and residents across the county.
Brexit preparation work at the council includes:
- A review of all council services to ensure appropriate contingencies are put in place, if needed.
- A group with representation from Executive Board and officers from all council departments that’s regularly meeting to prepare a forward-planning strategy for Carmarthenshire.
- Regular representation on the Dyfed Powys Local Resilience Forum, which is preparing multi-agency solutions to challenges Brexit could pose.
- Ensuring signposting support and advice is made available to businesses in all parts of the county, including agricultural businesses in rural communities.
- Ensuring information is made available to staff that could be affected.
- Work to ensure the agricultural sector is made aware of any new initiatives that are developed post-Brexit.
- Raising awareness of the EU Settlement Scheme among Carmarthenshire’s EU citizen population.
- Arranging early discussions with the Welsh Government on post-Brexit funding.
- Working alongside the Welsh Local Government Association to arrange information events across Carmarthenshire, once the Brexit deal is finalised.
We will also keep residents informed about any Brexit issues that may affect them.