Jobs and growth
In this section
What do we need to do?
- We need to build a knowledge-rich, creative economy by maximising employment and training places for local people through creating jobs and providing high quality apprenticeships, training and work experience opportunities, in order to have an ongoing skilled and competent workforce to face the future.
- We need to evolve Carmarthenshire’s position in the Swansea Bay City Region (Swansea, Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Neath Port Talbot) into a confident, ambitious and connected county.
- We need to continue to invest in our local rural infrastructure, including transportation to attract businesses, tourism/leisure to the county to promote economic growth and activity by building better connections and generating a strong tourism industry (see Improving highway & transport infrastructure & connectivity WBO11)
- We need to continue to invest in the strategic regeneration of our 3 principal towns, 10 rural market towns, key strategic employment sites and continue to support business growth.
- We need to support Welsh Government’s - Prosperity for All-the National Strategy: Economic Action Plan
- Monitor the impact of Brexit on the economy of Carmarthenshire, so we can mitigate any problems and embrace all opportunities which may arise
- We need to address the issues facing rural communities as identified in the Moving Rural Carmarthenshire Forward report
- We will support those everyday businesses that are all around us and are the foundation of our economy.
- We will look to support and upscale our grounded businesses as part of our COVID-19 recovery plan, through strengthening local procurement and supply chains, supporting business diversification, up-skilling and the development of fit for purpose premises for businesses to grow and flourish.
Which of the 7 well-being goals does this objective meet?
We must work towards achieving all of the 7 national well-being goals in the Well-being of Future Generations Act (Wales) 2015. This objective meets the following goals:
- A prosperous Wales
- A healthier Wales
- A more equal Wales
- A Wales of cohesive communities
- A Wales of Vibrant Culture & Thriving Welsh Language