Jobs and growth
In this section
What do we need to do?
- We need to build a knowledge-rich, creative economy by maximising employment and training places for local people through creating jobs and providing high quality apprenticeships, training and work experience opportunities, in order to have an on-going skilled and competent workforce to face the future.
- We need to evolve Carmarthenshire’s position in the Swansea Bay City Region (Swansea, Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Neath Port Talbot) into a confident, ambitious and connected county.
- We need to continue to invest in our local rural infrastructure, including transportation to attract businesses, tourism/leisure to the county to promote economic growth and activity by building better connections and generating a strong tourism industry (see Improving highway & transport infrastructure & connectivity WBO11)
- We need to continue to invest in the strategic regeneration of our 3 principal towns, 10 rural market towns, key strategic employment sites and continue to support business growth.
- We need to support Welsh Government’s - Prosperity for All-the National Strategy: Economic Action Plan
- Monitor the impact of Brexit on the economy of Carmarthenshire, so we can mitigate any problems and embrace all opportunities which may arise
- We need to address the issues facing rural communities as identified in the Moving Rural Carmarthenshire Forward report
- We will support those everyday businesses that are all around us and are the foundation of our economy.
- We will look to support and upscale our grounded businesses as part of our COVID-19 recovery plan, through strengthening local procurement and supply chains, supporting business diversification, up-skilling and the development of fit for purpose premises for businesses to grow and flourish.
Which of the 7 well-being goals does this objective meet?
We must work towards achieving all of the 7 national well-being goals in the Well-being of Future Generations Act (Wales) 2015. This objective meets the following goals:
- A prosperous Wales
- A healthier Wales
- A more equal Wales
- A Wales of cohesive communities
- A Wales of Vibrant Culture & Thriving Welsh Language