Update details on the Electoral Register

Page updated on: 01/12/2020

Every year, we contact all  the properties on our database and ask some properties to complete a form so that we know if someone is to be added or removed from the Electoral Register. We usually do this in the autumn, so that we can publish our new register in December. Completing this form doesn’t mean you’ve registered to vote. It's important to provide the information requested. There is a criminal penalty for failing to provide the information of a maximum of a £1000. 

Change of name

If you change your name, you will need to complete a change of name form and provide proof of your change of name, such as a marriage or civil partnership certificate, an amended birth certificate, or deed poll.

These forms are currently only available from your local authority electoral services team, please call 01267 228889 or email: electoralservices@carmarthenshire.gov.uk  

Moving house

If you move house, you must register to vote at your new address. Make sure you tell us your old address and we will remove your old registration. You can register to vote at Gov.UK's Register to vote page. 


If a member of your household has passed away, you will need to tell us so we can remove them from the Electoral Register. You can do this through the Tell Us Once service or alternatively you can tell us.

You need to tell us their name and address, and send us a copy of the death certificate (please do not send originals). You can do this by email to electoralservices@carmarthenshire.gov.uk or post to Electoral Services, Block 4, Parc Myrddin, Richmond Terrace, Carmarthen, SA31 1HQ.

Removing someone from the Electoral Register

If there is someone who is registered at your address but no longer lives there, please let us know.

Please also return any post we have sent to them, clearly marked as 'not at this address'. We will then be able to conduct a formal review and remove them. Please note this may take some weeks, and they may continue to receive post from us until the review is complete.

Removing someone from the Electoral Register will not remove their name from other public records such as the Council Tax system, so you will also need to contact them directly.

Adding someone to your address

If there is someone living in your address who is not currently registered, they can apply online on the Gov.UK's Register to vote page.

Change of nationality

If you have changed your nationality, you must contact us because your nationality can affect which elections you can vote in. Please email us at electoralservices@carmarthenshire.gov.uk giving your name, address, old nationality and new nationality. If we need further information we will contact you.

Council & Democracy