The County of Camarthenshire (Carmarthen) (Waiting restriction and street parking places) Consolidation (Experimental variation No.22) Order 2020
Notice is hereby given that on the twenty third day of July Two Thousand and Twenty the Carmarthenshire County Council made an Order under Sections 9 and 10 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 ("the Act") as amended.
The effect of this Order is to modify The County of Carmarthenshire (Carmarthen) (Waiting Restrictions and Street Parking Places) Consolidation Order 2004 (“the Consolidation Order”) (as amended) (which provides for decriminalised enforcement of contraventions of waiting prohibitions and restrictions) by the addition of a new plan denoting Area BQ138 being the plan annexed to the Order and which said plan shall prevail during the duration of the Order. The consequence of the modification is to suspend during the duration of the Order the restrictions imposed by the Consolidation Order that currently apply to the sides of road specified in the Schedule to this Notice and introduce revised restrictions thereon which shall:
- Prohibit waiting between the hours of 6.00 p.m. and midnight and between midnight and 8.00 a.m. on the sides of road specified in Part I of the Schedule to this Notice except for hackney carriages (Taxis) parked in the hackney carriage stand.
- Limit waiting to 30 minutes with return prohibited within 1 hour between the hours of 8.00 a.m. and 6.00 p.m. on any day except Sunday on the sides of road specified in Part II of the Schedule hereto
- Limiting waiting to 30 minutes with return prohibited within 30 minutes between the hours of 9.00 a.m. and 6.00 p.m. on any day except Sunday on the sides of road specified in Part III of the Schedule hereto
- Prohibit waiting at any time on the side of road specified in Part IV of the Schedule hereto except for enabling goods to be loaded on or unloaded from vehicles.
The Order will come into operation on the third day of August, 2020.
After an initial period of six months the Council will then consider whether the provisions of the Order are to be made permanent. If you wish to object to the making of a permanent Order on the terms of the Experimental Order then you should send the grounds for your objection in writing to the Head of Administration and Law at County Hall Carmarthen SA31 1JP by the 8th day of February, 2021.
Any person who desires to question the validity of this Order or of any provision contained in it on the grounds that it is not within the powers conferred by the Act or on the grounds that any requirement of the Act or of any instrument made under it has not been complied with in relation to the Order, may, within six weeks of the date on which the Order was made, apply to the High Court for this purpose.
Direct line: (01267) 224045
Wendy Walters, Chief Executive, County Hall, Carmarthen
Waiting prohibited on all days between 6.00pm to Midnight and Midnight to 8.00am except for Hackney Carriages waiting upon a Hackney Carriage stand.
- Name of road: Lammas Street, Carmarthen.
- Side of road: On the South side. From a point 14 metres west of the centre of its junction with Water Street for a distance of 6 metres in a general north-westerly direction.
Waiting limited to 30 minutes return prohibited within 1 Hour 8.00am to 6.00pm, Monday to Saturday.
- Name of road: Lammas Street, Carmarthen.
- Side of road: On the South side. From a point 76 metres west of the centre of its junction with Water Street for a distance of 19 metres in westerly direction.
Waiting limited to 30 minutes return prohibited within 30 minutes 9.00am to 6.00pm, Monday to Saturday.
- Name of road: Lammas Street, Carmarthen
- Side of Road: On the North side. From a point 126 metres west of the centre of its junction with Water Street for a distance of 12 metres in a westerly direction.
Waiting prohibited at any time except for loading and unloading.
- Name of road - Lammas Street, Carmarthen.
- Side of road - On the North side. From a point 6 metres west of the centre of its junction with Water Street for a distance of 12 metres in a westerly direction.
Statement of Reasons
In consequence of the relaxation of rules by the Welsh Government following the coronavirus outbreak the Council is mindful of the probable increase in pedestrian traffic and the requirement to maintain social distancing. This has the potential to conflict with vehicular traffic therefore regard must be had of the need to avoid the likelihood of danger to the public. To minimise such risk, it is proposed to introduce an order pursuant to the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 which will prohibit vehicular traffic from proceeding along various street in Carmarthen between 10:00am and 4:00pm on all days and as a result there will be no access to the existing Disabled Parking between 10:00 and 4:00pm, in addition parking bays along Blue Street are to be suspended to allow additional pedestrian space and to mitigate the loss of parking it is proposed to provide additional Disabled Parking, Limited Waiting and a Loading Bay along Lammas Street, it is also proposed to provide additional Disabled Parking in John Street.
The two primary reasons for the introduction of this Experimental Order is to mitigate risk related to the coronavirus pandemic coupled with the need to ensure the safety of the public.
It is expected that social distancing will need to be observed for many months to come. The available space on footways and shared surfaces along several of the identified streets is insufficient to allow safe passing distances. There is also additional pressure on the available space from queues outside shops, banks and other premises.
Furthermore, the County Council seeks to maintain the safety of pedestrians. Those who adhere to social distancing rules are frequently forced to step onto the road and with the expected increase in traffic volumes accessing the town centre streets there will invariably be an increased risk of road traffic collisions.
Map of waiting Restrictions, Lammas Street, Carmarthen (.pdf)
Type of notice: Travel, roads and parking
- Location: Carmarthen