Empty properties

Page updated on: 20/03/2023

The Welsh Parliament (Senedd Cymru) is changing its accounting methods from 01st April 2020 and will no longer be accounting for the discount awarded to long term empty properties and as such, the financial burden of awarding any future discounts would have to be borne by the Council.

At the Council’s Executive Board meeting of 18th November 2019, it was unanimously agreed that the 50% discount currently being awarded on long term empty properties be removed and the full council tax charge apply to these properties from 1st April 2020.

Empty and unfurnished properties will continue to have exemption from Council Tax for the first six months from the date that they became empty and unfurnished; if they continue to be empty and unfurnished beyond the six-month exemption they will then be charged at the full Council Tax charge regardless of occupancy.

If a property is unoccupied but remains furnished there will, generally, be no exempt period, nor will there be any discount allowed.

A discount will only be granted, in respect of unoccupied properties which are furnished:-

  • If the council tax payer is liable for the council tax in respect of another property, where he lives for the better performance of his duties and it is the type of employment where the employee is, generally, required to live at a specific property.
  • If a caravan or boat has been left unoccupied.
  • If the personal representatives of a deceased person are liable to pay the council tax (further conditions and a time limit can apply).

Email Counciltax@carmarthenshire.gov.uk View list of exempt properties