Education Sir Gâr 2022-2032
In this section
Our desired outcomes 2022-2032
In Carmarthenshire we strive to provide our learners with the best possible education experience. We endeavour to develop the whole child/young person equipping them with the skills and knowledge they need for the next step in their learning or career pathway.
We are trying to achieve this at a time of increased demands on our resources and an increased focus on improving outcomes and attainment. Ultimately, we want to ensure that our learners are well educated, well informed and well qualified.
As a department we have clear priorities focused around four key themes, tied into Education in Wales: Our National Mission. We will achieve our desired outcomes by realising our 'purpose pieces' and the ideals of the new Curriculum for Wales.
- Ambitious, capable learners, ready to learn throughout their lives
- Healthy, confident individuals, ready to lead fulfilling lives as valued members of society
- Enterprising, creative contributors, ready to play a full part in life and work
- Ethical, informed citizens of Wales and the world
- We will give every child the best start in life, improving their early life experiences and ensuring they live healthy lifestyles. We will protect children and young people from harm and work to ensure their emotional and physical wellbeing.
- We will support all learners as we build on what they’ve learned and support and improve progress and achievement. We will ensure appropriate outcomes for all learners and all staff within the system.
- We will ensure our children and young people have the right skills to succeed in fulfilling their ambitions. We will further develop learners’ skills including creativity, innovation, entrepreneurship, independence, resilience and perseverance.
- We will support our children and young people by addressing opportunity and achievement gaps.
- We will ensure all young people are in education, employment or training and are following productive learning and career pathways.
- We will develop an engaging curriculum that will support learners to realise their potential ensuring that they are ‘Well Educated, Well Informed and Well Qualified’ and enabling them to become effective global citizens.
- We will develop a 'local curriculum' reflecting Carmarthenshire's unique history, geography and culture.
- We will champion the Welsh language and pride in Carmarthenshire’s unique heritage and culture.
- We will ensure our learners develop an understanding and respect of diversity and equality.
- We will protect and restore the environment and change our lifestyles to protect the environment now and for the future ensuring our children and young people develop an appreciation of their community and environment.
- We will value the achievement of our learners and staff and celebrate their success.
- We will work as one team for the benefit of our children, young people and their families.
- We will support our children and young people by recruiting, developing, retaining and valuing the best leaders, teachers and support staff. We will respect all of our staff and commit to ensuring their well-being.
- We will ensure that learner voice is central to our decision making and that the rights of the child are promoted and fulfilled.
- We will offer high standards of bilingual education, increasingly in modern, viable and sustainable environments that are fully equipped for 21st century learning utilising technology to support teaching and learning and service improvement.
- We will develop as an effective and efficient learning organisation for the benefit of our children, young people and staff.
- We will engage with our learners in the design of our services and monitoring their success.
- We will further develop and strengthen partnership working with other departments and organisations.
- We will ensure that we know our services well and ensure continuous positive and sustained change and improvement.
- We will ensure that our services, whether provided directly or commissioned from others, will be equitable, inclusive, aspire to excellence and offer good value for money.