Supporting Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Staff
We are fully committed to equality of opportunity and promoting diversity. We value all staff regardless of their sexual orientation. Furthermore, we aim to create an environment in which all staff, whatever their sexuality feel equally welcomed and valued, and in which homophobic and other discriminatory behaviour is not tolerated.
What the Law says
Under the Equality Act 2010 people with different sexual orientations have protection from discrimination. Under the Act, it is unlawful to discriminate on the grounds of someone’s sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation. It also prohibits discriminating against someone because of their association with someone who is lesbian, gay or bisexual. This applies to all employers.
In 2013 The marriage (same sex couples) Act extended marriage to same sex partners in England and Wales. The Civil Partnerships Act (2005) creates rights that are equivalent to marriage so that same sex couples can register their civil partnership.
The law says that an employee who has had a civil partnership is entitled to:
- Take their partners name
- Have the same rights as married heterosexual couples under Next of kin rights
- Rights in relation to their partners children
- Certain tax rights, including the same inheritance rights as married heterosexual couples
- Pension rights
- Some welfare benefits
- The same “perks” and benefits at work as married couples.
- Adoption, paternity leave and housing.
What support is available locally?
We have a range of equality and diversity related policies, services and networks in place to support all staff including LGBT employees at work. These include:
- Equality & Diversity Policy
- Behavioural standards guidance
- Human Resources and Occupational Health Advisors
There are a number of LGBT Groups and Help lines that are readily accessible via the internet or through local LGBT services.
- Human Resources Team, Tel: 01267 246184
- Occupational Health & Wellbeing Team, Tel: 01267 246060
- Stonewall Cymru (Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Charity), tel: 08000 50 20 20 or e-mail: email@example.com.
More from Jobs & Careers