Planning permission for homeowners

Page updated on: 05/05/2020

If you are considering making changes to your home, including work within the boundary of your property/garden you may need to apply for householder planning consent.

Householder planning consent is required for: 

  • Extensions
  • Conservatories
  • Loft conversions
  • Dormer windows
  • Garages, car ports and outbuildings 

However, planning permission is not needed for all building work to your home. Under permitted development rules you can carry out a number of projects, provided they meet certain limits and conditions. 

To check if planning permission is required you can download and complete the relevant form and return it to us or check online. This is an informal check if you need a definitive response you will need to apply for a lawful development certificate.

Once you have checked if you need planning permission, you have a number of options:

  • If you are completely sure your project does not need planning permission you can start your building work
  • For peace of mind and proof that your building work is lawful apply for a Lawful Development Certificate.
  • If your project does not qualify as permitted development apply for householder planning consent. If you would like help with your application you can apply for our pre application advice service.

Apply for householder consent Apply for Lawful Development Certificate