We are committed to promoting Sustainable Development through our policies, strategies and services. This means ensuring our actions contribute to social, economic and environmental well-being now and in the future, thus achieving best value for money.
The aim is to build stronger communities, reduce social exclusion and poverty and encourage the development of the economy. The inclusion of Community Benefits in public sector procurement is designed to ensure that wider social, economic and environmental issues are taken into account when tendering construction, service or supplies contracts. Helping to maximise the impact on public spending.
Value Wales (Welsh Assembly Government), has produced a guide to Community Benefits which offers advice on the different approaches that procurers are encouraged to take to deliver added value by the inclusion of community benefits in their procurement activities.
Key Priorities for Potential Community Benefits -
- Training and employment: Promote skills & labour, offer apprenticeships.
- Supply Chain initiatives: Supplier engagement, second tier supply chain opportunities.
- Working with 3rd Sector & supported factories & businesses.
- Community Initiatives: Volunteering days, support for local youth groups and other community groups, mini sporting tournaments.
- Education Contribution: Work/school placements, talks to children on career paths.