In April 2016, our Welsh Language Standards came in to force. The Standards are a set of 174 instructions from the Welsh Language Commissioner under the Welsh Language Measure (Wales) 2011.
The Standards replace the Welsh Language Scheme and they provide us with a new framework to direct how we:
- deliver services in Welsh,
- make policy in a way that promotes the Welsh language,
- operate through the medium of Welsh,
- promote the Welsh Language,
- keep records about the Welsh Language.
The Standards' main principle is that the we will not treat the Welsh language less favourably than the English language when delivering services and operating from day to day.
It is required that the Council prepares an Annual Report to provide detail on the implementation of the Welsh Language Standards to confirm compliance and to report on performance.