• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

Do you need planning permission?

Planning Permission is needed if you want to do certain building works. It will be granted (possibly subject to certain conditions) or refused.  Permission can be granted for:

  • building new structures;
  • changing or enlarging structures;
  • changing the use of land or buildings on it; or
  • for quarrying or the mining of minerals.

Planning Portal: Interactive guidance to planning permission

Interactive guides

You can make some improvements, alterations and extensions to your home without needing planning permission. These are called Householder Permitted Development Rights.

By submitting a Householder Preliminary Enquiry form you will be requesting a check as to the need for planning permission, listed building or conservation area consent. With regard to planning, this will constitute an informal response as a definitive response can only be obtained through the submission of a lawful development certificate.

Householder Preliminary Enquiry Forms
Please complete the relevant form to see if planning permission is required for householder development.  (saved in folder)

Householder Guidance

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended) fully protects all species of bat and all wild birds during their breeding season. Bats are also fully protected at EU level by the Habitats Directive 1992, which in the UK, is The Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2010. It is both the householder and their contractor’s responsibility to ensure they are not affecting either during their work. If there is any doubt about whether bats or breeding birds will be affected we would strongly recommend that advice is sought. 

Useful advice and information can be found at:

Visit the Planning Portal website to find planning and building regulations guidance for many common building work projects for the home. You can also read case studies outlining people's real experience of tackling a number of the projects.  

With all building work, the owner of the property (or land) in question is ultimately responsible for complying with the relevant planning rules and building regulations. 

What to do next

When you have tested your proposed project against the permitted development limits and conditions it is time to decide on your next step.  You have a number of options:

Page updated on: 22/03/2017

do it online