Moving schools is not a decision that should be made lightly, any change of school during term time could badly effect your child’s education. If you decide to move your child to another school during the school year we recommend that you discuss this with the head teacher at your current school. Often a simple chat can sort problems and at least give the school the chance to be aware of any problems.
If you still feel this is the right decision for your child, you also need to speak to the head teacher of the school you are moving to and explain your decision so that they can provide any support if needed.
We recommend that you do not take your child from their existing school until you have been offered a place at the new school. We realise that this isn’t always possible but minimising disruption to your child’s education is vital. It can take up to a month to process your application and if you are refused a school place and need to appeal it could take a further 6 weeks.
If you need help with making the application contact your local school. If you are applying outside of the county please contact the relevant Local Authority.
How to apply
We only accept applications for Carmarthenshire schools and you can only apply online. If you are applying outside of the county please contact the relevant Local Authority. You will need to provide the following information:
- Parent/guardians name* and address
- Parent/guardians email**
- Childs name, address and date of birth
- Choice of school – you can choose up to three schools in order of preference
- Preferred start date (may not be the actual start date, you will need to discuss this with the school)
Apply for a school place
* Anyone with parental responsibility must agree to this application before you submit it.
** If you don’t have an e-mail address you can’t apply online, please go to your local school and they will assist you with your application.
What happens next
- You will receive an e-mail acknowledgement with a .pdf copy of your application. All correspondence about your application will be sent via e-mail.
- If you are offered a place you must confirm that you accept the place you’ve been offered within 14 days. If you don’t your place may be taken away.
- Once you’ve accepted your child’s place you must contact the school to agree a start date.
You have the right to appeal (except for 3 year old nursery places) however please note, we only refuse a child’s school place if the year you are applying for is full.
Page updated on: 07/03/2017