Free school meals
Free School Meals are only available to children whose parents/guardian receives one of the following benefits. Children in receipt of one of the benefits themselves are also entitled to free school meals.:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
- Support under part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, but DO NOT receive Working Tax Credit, and their annual income (as assessed by the Inland Revenue) does not exceed £16,190 (from 6th April 2014) unless Working Tax Credit is part of a four week run on.
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Universal Credit
Please note: If you are in receipt of Working Tax Credit in addition to any of these benefits you will not be eligible for free meals, even if the household income is below £16,190.
Once we receive application, we will aim to process it within 5 working days. You will be notified of the award by e-mail / by letter. If you are already claiming free school meals for your child, there is no need to re-apply for each new school year this entitlement will automatically follow your child to the next stage of their education (e.g. in September). If this involves moving to a new school e.g. moving from primary to secondary school, the new school will be advised of your entitlement without the need to re-apply. If your child transfers to another school within Carmarthenshire at any other time or for any other reason, again entitlement will automatically follow your child.
If your circumstances change you need to let us know, for example:
- You start work
- Your benefit changes
- You change address
- You have another child starting school for the first time
- Your child no longer lives with you
- Your child changes school
Failure to notify us in any changes to your benefit/income may mean you have to pay for any meals taken whilst you were not eligible.
More from Education & Schools