• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

Learning Disability

People with a learning disability may need help with learning and remembering, and may also have difficulty communicating. Our aim is to offer support to enable people to live as independently as possible. We recognise that each individual is unique and that everyone has their own particular circumstances and needs.

To receive Social Care support you must first have a discussion of your needs with one of our Community Teams for Learning Disabilities who will identify your strengths and difficulties, so that tailored support services can be arranged.

Day and Employment Opportunities

Your Care Plan may identify a need for day and employment opportunities. These services will enable you to meet new people, learn new skills for employment and also take part in community activities.

Short Breaks

Short Breaks sometimes known as Respite Care give you, your family or carer the chance of a break, knowing that you are still getting the help you need.

Support at home

We can support you to live at home with your family or carer. There are services you can use during the day. You may be able to have someone to help you in your home. We can also advise and help you to equip and adapt your home.

Carmarthenshire People First

Carmarthenshire People First (CPF) is a self advocacy organisation for people with learning disabilities in Carmarthenshire. They meet regularly to talk about issues which are important, such as day services, support services and accommodation, to make sure that people with learning disabilities know their rights.  

Transition to Adult Social Care

Changes or transitions in life can be stressful for anyone. For a young person, it might be a move from school to college or from Children’s Services to Adult Services. Transition Services will provide information on your options and support you until you settle into the service of your choice.

Page updated on: 26/05/2017

do it online