• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

Care at home

Help at home

Domiciliary Service, also known as home care, provides practical or personal care for someone in their own home. If you are an older person or you have a disability, you may need some care and support. This may be because your health or mobility is declining, or you have been in hospital or you have a long term health condition. You may need help with some or all of the following:

  • Washing and dressing
  • Getting up in the morning and going to bed at night
  • Meal preparation and help to eat
  • Going to the toilet
  • Remembering or taking medication
  • Household chores
  • Overnight care

If you feel you need care and support, the first step is to ask us to assess your needs. Everyone is entitled to have their needs assessed and a service can be provided if you meet the agreed criteria.

Reablement is a short-term support designed to give older people or people with disabilities skills, techniques and confidence to manage as many daily living tasks as possible on their own.

We will discuss with you your goals and draw up a goal plan of how we can support you to meet them. We constantly review how you are managing and adjust the support you get to meet your individual goals.

Your reablement programme may last up to a maximum of six weeks depending on the continued assessment of your needs – some people find that they are independent again after three or four weeks.

The Reablement Service is available throughout Carmarthenshire. Our teams of professional, friendly staff will listen to you, respect your personal views and standards and support you to be as independent as possible within your own home. 

Other services may be provided if you and your social worker think that they are needed.

If you need long term practical help and support in carrying out personal or household tasks to enable you to continue living at home then your Social Worker will develop a plan with you to find the most appropriate support for your needs. A Care Plan will be agreed with you, setting out the help you need.

The services may be provided by:,

  • Staff employed directly by Social Services.
  • An independent care agency or voluntary organisation contracted to work with Social Services.

If you are assessed as needing ongoing personal care and support, you may want to use Direct Payments to choose and buy your own services or employ a personal assistant.

No matter who is providing your service, Social Services will carry out regular reviews to make sure that the service is continuing to meet your needs.

If you feel, at any time, that you need more or less support, please ask us for a review of your needs. Either speak to the staff who are providing your service, or your Social Worker.

We will prepare a personal plan for your particular needs which will be under regular review.

We will carry out a health and safety check to make sure that the support we provide in your home environment is safe for you and for the domiciliary staff.

  • Domiciliary staff will carry identification.
  • Domiciliary staff will have received regular professional supervision to make sure they are doing their job well.

When your service starts you will receive more detailed information about how the service operates and who to contact with any queries.

Reablement is free of charge until your long term needs are identified or up to a maximum of 6 weeks. There may be a cost for longer term services; this will be discussed with you when we assess your needs. The amount you would be expected to pay depends on how much money you have as income and savings, and how much care you are getting. In Wales, there are laws which mean no one will pay more than £60 per week for all of their non residential social services together. Some people are not asked to pay anything.

 Non Residential Social Care Charges has more information on this.

Regular quality assurance questionnaires are undertaken and we would like to hear from you if you are not happy with any aspect of the service, or if you have positive feedback or suggestions to help us identify problems and improve.

If you are unable to express your concerns yourself, a carer, family member or representative can contact us on your behalf. You can do this by contacting the Complaints Team.

You can also contact the Care & Social Services Inspectorate for Wales CSSIW on 0300 7900 126 or visit their website.

Page updated on: 09/11/2016

do it online