• Cymraeg
  • Skip to Content

Short breaks for adults/carers

Most people who need help to maintain their independence are best cared for by the people they know – their family and friends. These carers can sometimes find it difficult to cope with caring for someone everyday without a break.

Short breaks often called ‘respite care’ is there to help carers, and the person they care for, to take a break. A break can be for a few hours, a few days or longer if needed.

A break away from the normal routine can make a big difference. Sometimes there may be a reason why you need to take a break from caring, such as hospital treatment, a holiday, other caring responsibilities or simply to recharge your batteries.

There are many different ways that breaks may be provided. These are some examples:

Short breaks in general residential and nursing care homes.

People who require a high level of care and supervision can have short breaks in a residential or nursing care home if a bed is available to meet appropriate needs.

Short breaks in the home of another individual or family (adult placement).

These are short breaks provided by people who are paid, and professionally regulated, to provide short-term support in their own homes. These are sometimes referred to as Adult Placement Schemes.

Short breaks at home

This is support provided within the home where you live. Flexible and tailor-made packages of support can be arranged whilst your carer(s) is away.

If you are eligible for funding support from the Local Authority, instead of having a service arranged for you, you can choose to receive money in the form of a Direct Payment. This enables you to make more flexible arrangements for your short break that may suit your circumstances better.

Supported holiday breaks

These include opportunities for people and carers to plan and arrange their own holidays, with information and/or support to arrange assistance with meeting any care needs they might have whilst away from home.

Local authority and/or health funding may be available for all or part of this support, depending upon individual circumstances. Before funding can be agreed the person being cared for would have to have an assessment of their care needs from Social Care Services.

Help in Crisis for Carers

Help in Crisis is a free service to help carers deal with emergencies. It doesn’t provide long-term care, but it does provide immediate help while other care arrangements are made.

Telephone Careline+ on 0300 333 2222 to request this service.

You may be able to use the service if as a carer you:

  • need to be confined to bed at home or admitted to hospital because of an accident or illness.
  • are in a state of exhaustion and need immediate rest and sleep.
  • are in an emotional or physical state of distress and immediate relief is vital to your mental or physical well-being, or vital to the safety of the person you care for
  • are needed in a family crisis.

Support groups

There are a large number of local support groups for carers, giving you the opportunity to take a break with other carers who know about, and understand, the sort of things you face, some of which are listed below:

Crossroads Care Sir Gâr can offer practical replacement care at home – from a few hours to an overnight stay:
Carmarthen/Dinefwr: 01267 220046
Llanelli/Cwm Gwendraeth: 01665 754957

Alzheimer’s Society provides information, support and some practical care

Hafal can provide breaks from caring for carers of people with long-term mental health problems:
01267 223365

Stroke Association gives advice, information and support:
0845 3033 100

Age Cymru Sir Gâr provides information, advice and help with a wide range of issues:
01554 784080

Carmarthenshire Carers Services have details of other organisations that provide support to carers in their Carers’ Information Pack. To obtain one of these packs please contact:
0300 0200 002

Tourism for All provide national holiday advice for disabled people.
0845 124 9971

Turn2Us is an organisation which helps you to find out about which grants and benefits you may be entitled to.

Page updated on: 10/08/2017

do it online