Ending your occupation contract (council tenancy)

Page updated on: 12/10/2023


If you would like to give us your notice to end your contract (tenancy), you must give a minimum of 4 weeks’ notice in writing. The last date of your tenancy should be, wherever possible, a Sunday.
You must leave the property in a good, clean condition, and remove all personal possession and return the keys to us before these 4 weeks have elapsed.
If you leave any possessions in the property, we will give you 28 days to collect them, otherwise we will dispose of them as we see fit.
Charges equivalent to the weekly rent will be applied if we need to retain your possessions in the property after your contract ends.

The quickest way is to contact our New Homes Team by sending them an e-mail: VoidsTeam@carmarthenshire.gov.uk.
When you contact us, please tell us:

  • the date you're moving out (remember we need 4 weeks notice)
  • where you're moving to
  • your phone number and e-mail address, so we can contact you


complete the Notice to Landlord to End Contract form:

Notice to Landlord to End Contract

You can drop keys and notices into our HWBs:

  • 9:00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Thursdays
  • 9:00am to 4.30pm, Fridays

If you’re not going to be leaving your property on the date you told us, please contact the New Homes team as soon as you can.
If you want to change your notice period, you should tell us why you won’t be leaving on the agreed day and what date you will now be moving on.
You can cancel your notice and remain in your property, just let us know.
Please note that you are not allowed to have two tenancies running at the same time.

We have general guidance on what to do when someone dies

When you use the government’s tell us once service, let them know you wish to inform Housing and we will get the notification of the death.
Under the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016 the contract will end 1 month after the death or sooner if you notify us.
We may be able to give you advice on clearing the property.
We also have guidance on donating items you don’t need, and a bulky waste collection service. You may find these useful.

If you breach the terms of your occupation contract, we can end your tenancy by getting a possession order from the County Court. We will give you at least 1 month’s written notice of our intention to apply for a Possession Order.

If we are seeking possession due to anti-social behaviour and prohibited conduct, we can start court action immediately after giving you notice.

We can end your Contract (tenancy) without a court order if we believe you have abandoned your property. We don’t need to go to court to do this.

A contract can end at any time if we have agreed this with you. The contract officially ends when you give up possession of the property as per the agreement we have made with you.


Where you can donate items

If you have unwanted items in your house that are good quality, you may be able to donate them for reuse. Please let the New Homes team know and they will tell you whether the items can be reused.
Or you can donate items at our recycling centres at Nantycaws Recycling Centre or Canolfan Eto, Stepney Street, Llanelli.

Other things you can do with your unwanted items

There are various ways to pass on your unwanted items without throwing them in the bin.
You can offer them to your neighbours or advertise them on Facebook. You can check if your local high street charity shops are taking donations.

I can't donate my item, how do I get rid of it?

We have a bulky waste collection service

Book a bulky waste collection

How to book a bulky waste collection
You can book a bulky waste collection online by signing up through your My Hwb Account. If you do not already have an account, you will need to create one.
Create an account
You can also book by calling us on 01267 234567. You can only pay by debit or credit card.

Where to put your items on collection day

Put all your items for collection together at the front of your property. Leave them as close to the kerbside as possible.
Where possible, please do not put your items on the pavement. We understand there may be times where it is necessary to do so, for example, if you live in a terraced property which opens straight onto the pavement with no front garden.
You must leave the items safely and not block any pedestrian access. Make sure all the items can be easily seen by our collection team.
You must leave all your items for collection in a neat and tidy pile. This makes it easier for our collection team to identify and pick up.

This form
You do not have to use this form when giving notice to end your occupation contract, but we encourage you to do so.

Termination date
When giving notice to end the contract, you must specify the date when you will give up possession of the dwelling. The date that you specify must not be less than four weeks after the day on which notice is given to the landlord.

If you do not give up possession of the dwelling on the date that you have specified, the landlord may make a possession claim against you to end your occupation contract.

If you give up possession of the dwelling on or before the date specified this notice, the contract ends on the date specified in the notice.

If you give up possession of the dwelling after that date but in connection with this notice, the contract ends—
(a) on the day on which the contract-holder gives up possession of the dwelling, or
(b) if an order for possession is made, on the date determined in accordance with section 206 of the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016.

Withdrawing this notice
The notice will cease to have effect if, before the contract ends—
(a) You give us notice (in writing) that you wish to withdraw it; and
(b) We do not object (in writing) to your withdrawal it, before the end of a reasonable period.

Joint Contract-holders
If this Notice is not signed by ALL joint contract-holders, it will not end the occupation contract. However, under the Act it will be treated as a “withdrawal notice” from the contract-holder(s) who have signed it.