Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

What is MEES?

Since April 2020, Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) have been applied to all privately rented tenancies, even those with no tenancy change. As a local authority we are trying to ensure Landlords receive advice and information on the current MEES requirements and signpost to the available sources of funding assistance where applicable.

If you are currently letting a property with an EPC rating of 'F' or 'G', and you haven’t already taken action, you must improve the property’s rating to a minimum rating of 'E' or register an exemption where applicable.

Energy Performance Certificate

The Energy Performance Certificate will outline the recommended measures that you can take to help you improve the Energy rating.

If you are unsure whether your property has an EPC, you can find out by visiting the UK Government website.

If you do not have an EPC, you can obtain one by visiting the UK Government website.

Financial aid

Making improvements could add value to your property whilst also futureproofing your investment. There are a number of schemes available on the ECO Flex website to help fund necessary home energy improvements.

Nest Wales also provides funding for home energy improvements.