Apply for a part-time nursery place (3-year olds)
Important information: This page is for part-time nursery (3-year olds) applications only. To apply for a part-time nursery place in one of our 3-11 schools please read the following information before starting your application. To apply for a full time Primary school (4-year old) place, please go back and click on ‘Apply for a full time Primary school place’ page.
If you are applying for your child to attend part time nursery at one of our schools and you’d like them to stay at that school for their full time primary school education, you MUST still complete a full time Primary school application for that school. You must complete a part-time nursery application AND a full time Primary school application to ensure your child is offered a place in both nursery and primary school. It is important to note, just because your child is accepted at the age of three there is no guarantee that they will be offered a school place from 4 years old.
You can apply for your child to attend part time nursery school from the age of 3 (the term following their third birthday) on a part time basis, in one of our registered 3-11 schools. Your child will attend school in either the morning or afternoon for two terms. The Local Authority have one nursery school in Ammanford and 40 of our primary schools offer part time nursery places for 3 year olds. To find out which of our schools offer part time nursery provision for 3 year olds, please go to the find a school page.
Only once you have made an application and had confirmation from us that your child has been accepted, can your child start school.
The Carmarthenshire Family Information Service offers advice and guidance on childcare and family support as some parents prefer to send their child to a privately run day nursery. If you send your child to a registered Private Day nursery you are eligible for 10 hours free nursery education. We recommend that you speak to schools and private nurseries to figure out which is the best provision for you and your child.
School start date
Part-time nursery education (3-years old)
1 September 2020 to 31 August 2021
January, April, September 2024
31 July 2023
If you've missed the application deadline you can still make a late application, however it may affect your chances of getting a place.
School start date
Part-time nursery education (3-years old)
1 September 2019 to 31 August 2020
January, April, September 2023
31 July 2022
We only accept applications for Carmarthenshire schools, and you can only apply online. You will need to provide the following information:
- Parent / guardians name* and address
- Parent / guardians email**
- Childs name, address and date of birth
- Choice of school – you can choose up to three schools in order of preference
* Anyone with parental responsibility must agree to this application before you submit it.
** If you don’t have an e-mail address you cannot apply. Please visit your local school and they will assist you with your online application.
Once we've received your application you will receive an e-mail acknowledgement of your application with a unique reference number for your application and a .pdf copy of your submission. All correspondence about your application will be sent via e-mail or post. If your application was on time, you will be notified in October the year before e.g. Term starts in 2022 you will be notified in October 2021.
If your application was late, it reduces your chances of getting a place and we can’t guarantee your child will start at the beginning of term. We will notify you as soon as possible but the application process takes up to eight weeks.
If you are offered a place, you must confirm that you accept the place by the deadline noted on the email/letter. If you don’t your place may be taken away. Once you’ve accepted your child’s place you must contact the school to agree a start date.
If your child is refused a nursery place to all of your chosen schools, there is no right to appeal, and you will need to inform us in writing if you wish your child's name to be kept on a waiting list until 30th September and if a place becomes available, we’ll let you know. You can make a late application for other schools.
Education & Schools
Find a school
School Admissions and Changing Schools
- Information and guidance for parents
- Apply for a part-time nursery place (3-year olds)
- Apply for a full-time primary school place (4-years olds)
- Apply for a secondary school place (11-year olds)
- Changing schools in the middle of an academic term or year
- Appeals: What to do if you've been refused a school place
- Catchment areas
- Frequently Asked Questions
Additional Learning Needs
- Educational & child psychology
- Specialist provision
- Ability to learn
- Reading and writing
- Number or maths
- Motor Skills
- Speech, Language & Communication
- Severe Learning Difficulties
- Hearing Loss
- Visual Impairment
- Physical and medical problems
- English/Welsh as an Additional Language
- Behavioural, Emotional and Social Skills
- Gypsies and Travellers
- Parent Partnership Service
- Voice of the child / young person
- Additional learning needs: Decision-making process
- Terminology Guide
Emergency school closures
Home schooling - Elective Home Education (EHE)
- English GCSE for adults
- Maths GCSE for adults
- British Sign Language
- Information for learners
- Essential skills in Maths and English
- Digital Literacy Skills
School term dates
- Primary school meals
- Secondary school meals
- Free school meals
- Free breakfast / school milk
- Special diets, allergies and intolerances
- How we source our produce
- Nutritional standards for school meals
- School meals FAQ's
Pendine Outdoor Education Centre
- Duke of Edinburgh Award
- College provision for year 11’s
- Not in education or employment?
- Cam Nesa
Participation and children's rights
School sport & leisure
Carmarthenshire's Modernising Education Programme
- Primary School Investment
- Secondary School Investment
- BREEAM categories
- Sustainable design - BREEAM
- Schools in Development
- Welsh Government Focused Grants
Education Sir Gâr 2022-2032
- Why do we need this strategy?
- Vision to 2032
- Our desired outcomes 2022-2032
- Link to well-being objectives
- Policy background
Our behaviour impacts everything and everyone
More from Education & Schools