Work with us
Volunteering with us
We have opportunities for people with a little time to spare to help us look after Carmarthenshire’s heritage.
There are a variety of roles available and full training and support will be given. Volunteering will also give you the opportunity to learn new skills and meet new people.
Our volunteers come with varying levels of previous experience or skills. All volunteers should have an understanding of the need to take care of resources and attention to detail. For some of the work, some confidence in using computers and other equipment will be needed. We aim, where possible, to find you a role that matches your ability and skills.
We believe that offering work experience placements to students and school pupils is a great way to gain an insight into the important and interesting work that we do.
We try to make the placements as varied as possible. Some of the work involves:
- Cleaning and packaging documents
- Listing new collections
- Scanning and digitisation
- Working on our exhibitions
- Answering remote enquires
All work is carried out under the direct supervision of a professional member of staff.
We also offer voluntary work experience placement for people considering a career in archives and records management prior to application for a recognised postgraduate archive management course.
If you are interested in a work experience placement, or becoming a volunteer please contact us for further information.
The Friends of Carmarthenshire Archives
The Friends of Carmarthenshire Archives group was formed several years ago to support the work of Carmarthenshire Archives and continue to do so in a number of ways:
- Provide financial support for the purchase and restoration of valuable documents
- Lobby on behalf of the Carmarthenshire Archives wherever appropriate
- Arrange educational visits to other services and sites of historical interest in Carmarthenshire and beyond
- Organise a programme of lectures by knowledgeable speakers on a variety of topics
- Publish bi-annual newsletters.
Membership is open to everyone interested in Carmarthenshire’s archives.
Annual subscription is £10 (single) and £15 (joint). Further details are avilable for those interested by contacting email@example.com and you can follow us on our Facebook page Friends of Carmarthenshire Archives.
More from Libraries & Archives