Welsh in Education Strategic Plan
In this section
Welsh in Education Strategic Plan (WESP)
The purpose of Carmarthenshire’s 2022-2032 Welsh in Education Strategic Plan (WESP) is to detail how we aim to achieve the Welsh Government’s outcomes and targets outlined in their Welsh Medium Education Strategy (WMES). The WMES sets out the Welsh Government’s vision for an education and training system that responds in a planned way to the growing demand for Welsh-medium education. The aim is to facilitate an increase in the number of people of all ages able to use the Welsh language with their families, in their communities and in the workplace. Carmarthenshire’s WESP is a key vehicle for creating an improved planning system for Welsh-medium education.
The WESP will provide the means for the Welsh Government to monitor the way in which we respond and contribute to the implementation of the WMES objectives.
Background of the Plan
The 2022-2032 Welsh in Education Strategic Plan is a statutory document that all Welsh Local Authorities are required to produce. This Plan is approved by Welsh Government. The government is presented with regular report on progress against the plan.
The Content of the Plan
The Local Authority must provide information and targets against 7 learning areas or strategic outcomes as follows:
- Outcome 1- More nursery children / three-year olds receive their education through the medium of Welsh
- Outcome 2- More reception class children / five-year olds receive their education through the medium of Welsh
- Outcome 3- More children continue to improve their Welsh language skills when transferring from one stage of their statutory education to another
- Outcome 4- More learners study for assessed qualifications in Welsh (as a subject) and subjects through the medium of Welsh
- Outcome 5- More opportunities for learners to use Welsh in different contexts in school
- Outcome 6- An increase in the provision of Welsh-medium education for pupils with additional learning needs (ALN)
- Outcome 7- Increase the number of teaching staff able to teach Welsh (as a subject) and teach through the medium of Welsh
The 2022-2032 WESP has been developed based on 7 aspirations to strengthen provision in Carmarthenshire.
This WESP is made under section 84 of the School Standards and Organisation (Wales) Act 2013 and the content complies with the Welsh in Education Strategic Plans (Wales) Regulations 20191-2. We have put due consideration to the statutory guidance issued by Welsh Ministers when setting our targets.