Discount for people with a severe mental impairment

Page updated on: 18/02/2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If you have had a change in circumstances, or a reduction in your income, you could be entitled to Housing Benefit to help pay your rent, or a Council Tax Reduction to help towards your Council Tax payments. You can make a claim whether you’re unemployed or working; and how much you get depends on your income and circumstances, such as if you live on your own.

If you have been furloughed or if you are self-employed and have had to stop working, we will also be as flexible as possible, for example, we can arrange a deferment in your payment schedule, subject to supporting evidence of income loss. To arrange a deferment or for any other query in relation to your Council Tax, please

For those residents that are still in employment and can continue to pay their Council Tax, we would like to thank you, this will allow us to continue to provide critical services to communities during this uncertain time.

Please continue to visit our Newsroom for the latest information. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Anyone who is medically certified as being Severely Mentally Impaired (SMI) may be eligible to Council Tax discount. This means that the person will have a permanent condition that severely affects their intellectual and social functioning.

Conditions that can lead to severe mental impairment include Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia, Parkinson’s disease, severe learning difficulties or a stroke, but many others may apply. To be eligible, the person must be diagnosed as SMI by a doctor and must also be entitled to one of the benefits below whether receiving them or not.

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (higher or middle rate care component)
  • An increase in disablement pension (as constant attendance is needed)
  • Disability Working Allowance
  • Income support (which includes a disability premium)
  • Employability Supplement or Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Universal Credit (in circumstances where a person has limited capability for work and/or work related activity)

Level of reduction:

  • If you have been diagnosed as SMI by a doctor and you are living alone or only with others who are SMI, you will be exempt from paying Council Tax.
  • If you have been diagnosed as SMI by a doctor and you live with one adult who is eligible to pay council tax, your household will receive a 25% reduction.
  • If you have been diagnosed as SMI by a doctor and you live with 2 or more adults who are eligible to pay council tax there will be no reduction.

Download application form (.pdf)