Extending / changing your home

7. Conservation areas

Conservation Areas are designated to preserve and enhance the special character of areas of architectural or historic interest. We have a duty to consider the designation of such areas under Section 69 of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990. They are selected according to the quality of the area as a whole, including the contribution of key individual or groups of buildings, trees, open space and streetscape.

The purpose of designating a Conservation Area is to provide the Council with an additional measure of control over an area that they consider to be of special historic of architectural value.

This does not mean that development proposals cannot take place, or that works to your property will be automatically refused. It means however that the Council will have regard to the effect of your proposals on the designation in addition to their normal assessment.

If you live in a conservation area, you will need conservation area consent to do the following:

  • Demolish a building with a volume of more than 115 cubic metres. There are a few exceptions - you can get further information from the relevant council.
  • To demolish a gate, fence, wall or railing more than one metre high next to a highway (including a public footpath or bridleway) or public open space; or more than two metres high elsewhere
  • There are certain exemptions from the general requirement to seek conservation area consent for the demolition of buildings in conservation areas.

Article 4 Direction

Your permitted development rights may have been removed by an "Article 4 Direction".  This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one.

Article 4 directions are made when the character of an area of acknowledged importance would be threatened. They are most common in conservation areas.

In Carmarthenshire there are four areas where this applies:

  • Cwmdu
  • Laugharne / Taf Estuary
  • Llandovery
  • Llangadog 

You can apply for planning permission in a conservation area on the Planning Application Wales website.

Apply for planning in a conservation area