Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

Page updated on: 17/04/2024

The historic buildings of Carmarthenshire tell some of the most important stories of our county. From Roman Towns to the Rebecca Riots, from historic market halls, pubs and farms to stately homes and castles, Carmarthenshire has it all. Our historic buildings are important as they provide significant economic, cultural, social and environmental benefit to Carmarthenshire.

We provide expert advice on looking after all the historic buildings in the County, including the 1,800 listed structures and 28 Conservation Areas. It is our responsibility, together with the owners and custodians of historic buildings, to help to protect these valuable assets, and preserve the wonderful built heritage of West Wales for present and future generations.

We hope that the following webpages will give answers to your questions about Carmarthenshire’s built heritage including: the consent process for Listed Buildings; activities that would be supported in a Conservation Area; maintenance and repairs to historic buildings; and where to go to get more information and training.

If you would like to check whether Listed Building Consent is required before any work commences, you can use our free pre-application advice service. Provide as much detail of your proposal(s) as you can, including its location, any photos and drawings (if you have them), to the Built Heritage Team

If you need to find out if your property is in a Conservation Area, and whether or not you need Planning Permission to make the changes you are considering, then consult the Conservation Area.

The Built Heritage Team at the Tywi Centre can support you with further information. Contact the Tywi Centre at or 01558 824271 if you are interested in:

  • What constitutes appropriate repair, maintenance, materials for a historic building.
  • How to find the right people and information to support you in carrying out a project on a historic building.
  • Making an application for Listed Building Consent. We run a regular course entitled ‘Listed Building Consent: making an application’.