Respect other people
- Consider the local community and other people enjoying the outdoors
- Leave gates and property as you find them and follow paths unless wider access is available
Protect the natural environment
- Leave no trace of your visit and take your litter home
- Keep dogs under effective control
Enjoy the outdoors and stay safe
- Plan ahead and be prepared
- Follow advice and local signs
In addition to the Countryside Code, here are a few important guidelines that you should always remember when rambling:
- Always wear stout shoes or walking boots and suitable clothing.
- If walking alone let someone know where you are going and approximately when you will be back.
- Check the weather forecast before you set off on high level routes.
- Always take food and a drink if you are setting out on a long walk.
- If walking high level routes carry a compass, whistle, survival bag, first aid kit, two meals and a torch.
More from Public Rights of Way