Health and Safety

Page updated on: 13/11/2023

All businesses operating in Carmarthenshire must meet all relevant health and safety standards and procedures. Our Environmental Health team regulate health and safety at various workplaces in Carmarthenshire, this includes investigation of certain reportable accidents, dangerous occurrences and occupational diseases; we also investigate significant workplace complaints.

The businesses we regulate include offices (except government offices), shops, hotels, restaurants, leisure premises, nurseries and playgroups, pubs and clubs, museums (privately owned), places of worship, sheltered accommodation and care homes

Other workplaces are regulated by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and include factories, farms, building sites, mines, schools and colleges, fairgrounds, gas, electricity and water systems, hospitals and nursing homes, central and local government premises and offshore installations.

Certain serious workplace accidents, occupational diseases and specified dangerous occurrences (near misses) must be reported in accordance with the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR). These regulations put duties on employers, the self-employed and people in control of work premises (the responsible person) to formally report such incidences.

Making a complaint

If you have seen something in a workplace that you think is breaking health and safety law, and could cause harm, it can be reported. But before you do, it may be possible to put some health and safety problems right by speaking to the responsible person or a union representative.

To enable us to deal with complaints quickly and effectively we need to know:

  • where and when the unsafe conditions or accident occurred
  • how you discovered the unsafe conditions or accident
  • was it is just you who was affected or were other people affected
  • your name, address, telephone number and email address

Please email your complaint to