Council Tax Reduction (CTR)

Page updated on: 15/12/2023

Council Tax Reduction replaced Council Tax Benefit in April 2013. In Wales, responsibility to provide a replacement scheme was given to Welsh Government but it is administered by local councils. The scheme ensures that households in Wales continue to be provided with support in paying their council tax bills.

The Council Tax Reduction scheme continues to be closely based on the previous council tax benefit rules. At the moment, the maximum amount of help available under the new scheme is 100% of the charge but this may change in the coming years.

You could be eligible if you’re on a low income, claim benefits or Universal Credit with the Department for Work and Pensions or Pension Service. You can apply if you own your home, you pay rent, are unemployed or working. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%.

What you get depends on:

  • your circumstances (e.g. income, number of children, benefits, residency status, disability)
  • your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
  • if your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you

To make a claim for Council Tax Reduction you need to fill in an application form and return it to us.

You will need to provide proof of:

  • National Insurance numbers for you and your partner
  • Identity e.g. birth certificate, drivers licence, passport
  • Capital, savings and investments
  • Earnings
  • Tax Credits
  • Any other income
  • Benefits, allowances or pensions

Please note that you must provide original documents, not copies. We cannot pay you any Council Tax Reduction until we have seen all the proof we have asked for. If you cannot provide some of this evidence please contact us and we can talk about other ways we can get the proof.

Things to remember:

  • You must be liable for Council Tax.
  • You must send us or bring in your application form as soon as you can. The date your benefit will start from depends on when we receive your application form.
  • You must provide all the supporting evidence we ask for within one month of the date of your application form. We will not be able to pay you any Council Tax Reduction until we have seen all the evidence needed. If you have difficulty in sending in any evidence you should contact us and request an extension of the time limit.
  • If you pay rent - you should make a separate claim for Universal Credit for help with your housing costs.

You won't get any Council Tax Reduction if you don't make a claim.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction