Report a change of circumstance

Page updated on: 04/09/2023

If you receive a Council Tax Reduction and your circumstances (or those of a member of your household) change you must contact us immediately because this can affect the amount of Council Tax reduction you receive.

These are some examples of changes that you should tell us about:

  • If you change address
  • If you start receiving Universal Credit
  • A change in your income or the income of a household member (e.g. partner, children or other people who live with you).
  • If you, your partner or a household member stop receiving Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance (Income Based), Employment and Support Allowance (Income Based) or Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit).
  • A change to your household composition i.e. if someone moves in/out.
  • If you, your partner or a household member start work.
  • If you go to prison.
  • If any of your children leave school.
  • If the amount of your childcare payments change.
  • If you leave your address for a temporary period e.g. if you go into hospital or residential care.
  • If you decide to stay permanently in a residential care or nursing home.
  • If you go abroad for more than 3 months

We will need proof of any changes

In most cases we will need to see original supporting documents such as your wage slips if your wages/job has changed. If you cannot supply supporting documents immediately do not delay telling us of the change. Please note if you are receiving a Council Tax Reduction, you are still required to notify us of a change in your circumstances even though you may have notified the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) separately.

Report a change in circumstance