Electrical works application

Page updated on: 04/09/2023

Part P regulations concerning electrical work apply mainly to houses and flats including gardens, outbuildings such as sheds, detached garages and greenhouses. These rules have been introduced to reduce the numbers of deaths, injuries and fires caused by faulty electrical installations and to prevent cowboy builders leaving electrical installations in an unsafe condition.

If you do not follow the new Building regulations:

  • The electrical work undertaken may not be safe
  • You may have difficulty selling your home if you are not in possession of the correct certificates
  • We may insist you put right faulty work  

Work that requires approval includes adding a new circuit or electrical work in the following locations:

  • Kitchens
  • Bathrooms, rooms containing a bath or shower facility
  • Swimming pools or paddling pools
  • Saunas
  • Electric floor or ceiling heating systems
  • Garden lighting or power installations
  • Small scale generators such as micro-CHP units.
  • Extra low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE Marked lighting sets.

A Building Regulation application will be required unless the work is undertaken by an electrician who is registered under the Competent Person Scheme.

Download electrical works application form