Becoming a Childminder

Page updated on: 04/09/2023

Could you offer a caring and inspirational environment for children? Are you looking for a rewarding career? Do you want to work from home? Would you like help and support with starting your own business?

Childminding is a highly rewarding career for those who enjoy working with children and are passionate about giving children the best start in life.  Childminding is an ideal career for people who want a job that will fit in with their family commitments whilst making a real difference to other families by giving parents the opportunity to return to work, training or education. 

Every day as a childminder will vary, but a standard day might include:

  • taking children to parks, play groups, libraries or to meet other childminders or school pick-ups.
  • providing creative, exciting and stimulating learning activities for children.
  • support children’s learning by embracing the principles of the Foundation Phase in Wales.

If you provide paid childcare for children under 8, for more than two hours a day, you are required by law to register with the Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW). 

Before you are able to register, you will need to complete:

  • a compulsory home-based childcare course,
  • first aid training
  • CIW application
  • Policies and procedures

You will also need to:

  • show that you can meet the required set standards. 
  • undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS)
  • have a home inspection to make sure it is safe and suitable for care of children.  

If you live in rented accommodation, you will need written permission from your landlord. CIW will set a maximum number of children that you are able to care for at any one time, up to a maximum of six children under 8, of which usually no more than three may be under school age. These numbers will include your own children if you have any.

The Family Information, Childcare and Play team provide ongoing guidance, one-to-one advice, support and mentoring, to help with CIW registration, as well as providing a wide variety of training courses, and keeping childminders updated with the latest information.  

You may be entitled to a start-up grant which will include:

  • Public Liability Insurance for one year
  • Necessary training
  • A business package which will help you set up your own childminding service.

If you would like further information on training, funding packages, how to begin the registration process or just an informal chat, please call the Family Information, Childcare and Play team on 01267 246555.