Disabled person discount

Page updated on: 08/09/2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If you have had a change in circumstances, or a reduction in your income, you could be entitled to Housing Benefit to help pay your rent, or a Council Tax Reduction to help towards your Council Tax payments. You can make a claim whether you’re unemployed or working; and how much you get depends on your income and circumstances, such as if you live on your own.

If you have been furloughed or if you are self-employed and have had to stop working, we will also be as flexible as possible, for example, we can arrange a deferment in your payment schedule, subject to supporting evidence of income loss. To arrange a deferment or for any other query in relation to your Council Tax, please counciltax@carmarthenshire.gov.uk

For those residents that are still in employment and can continue to pay their Council Tax, we would like to thank you, this will allow us to continue to provide critical services to communities during this uncertain time.

Please continue to visit our Newsroom for the latest information. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

If a disabled person (adult or child) is resident then you may be able to get a reduction in your Council Tax bill.

To qualify, the property must have one of the following features in order to meet the needs of the disabled person:-

  1. A room, other than a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory, which is predominantly used by and required for meeting the needs of the disabled person (Please note that the reduction will not apply if the room used by the disabled person would be required, by the household, for use as a bedroom or living room, even if he/she was not disabled)
  2. A second kitchen or bathroom used for meeting the needs of the disabled person, or
  3. Widened doorways or access to cater for the use of a wheel chair indoors.

If you qualify you will be charged a band below that in which your property has been assessed e.g. If your property is in band D then the charge will be at band C rate.

If your home is assessed as band A, which is the lowest band, we can still offer you a discount if one of the above conditions are met.

To apply simply complete the online application form or contact the Council Tax section on 01554 742200.

Once you have completed the application form, an officer will contact you to arrange a suitable time to visit you at your home to assess your claim.

Apply for a disabled person discount