Page updated on: 12/02/2024

The two referees you name should be your current and most recent previous employer. Whilst we recognise that this is not always possible, for any gaps in employment you will need to provide a reference which may be personal or from a Job Centre if you are registered as unemployed.

If you are self-employed, you may provide the name of someone who has known you in a professional capacity e.g. an accountant or solicitor. If you have just left full time education you should provide the names of your course teacher or head teacher.

If returning to work after a career break, you might consider providing the name of someone unrelated to you who knows you well, for example, your GP or the leader of a community group with which you have been involved.

Failure to supply a referee may result in your application not being considered.

We do not appoint without taking up references and to speed up the process, we usually contact referees prior to interview. For all safeguarding roles* references will be sought prior to interview.

If the post you are applying for is not a safeguarding role then you will have the option to inform us when you wish referees to be approached.

If you are applying for a safeguarding role and you have not worked in this area for the last two years we will seek references from your most recent safeguarding employer.

You can obtain further advice on who is suitable as a referee from the HR Recruitment Team. We may ask for an alternative referee if the one you have provided is not thought to be suitable.

*Safeguarding roles are those involving children, and vulnerable groups.